Bungie Responds to Destiny Matchmaking Issues With a Lag-Based Trial

Advertisement
By Akhil Arora | Updated: 28 January 2016 15:33 IST

The developer behind Destiny - Bungie - has received flak since the unmentioned update to its matchmaking system since the launch of Destiny: The Taken King expansion back in September, and on Monday the company said it's taking steps to address those issues and its corresponding handling of the same.

"In light of recent feedback from the community, it's very clear that we have more work to do. As that work progresses, I'd also like to pledge that you'll be more included in that process," Bungie community manager David Dague said in a statement.

(Also see: Pay as Much as Destiny Costs to Level Up Your Character With New Upgrade Pack)

The Taken King brought a new game mode in Rift, which will be first used during the Iron Banner event that sparked off on Tuesday night at 11:30PM Indian time. Bungie will introduce the new matchmaking system trial - one that makes network latency a priority - a full 24 hours after on Wednesday night, to provide itself with two different sets of data to consider and analyse.

Advertisement

The previously unannounced change in September brought skill-based matchmaking to Destiny, in place of the original location-based. That introduced heavy lag to most games, frustrating players all around. The company said it didn't tell the players because it was looking to collect "unbiased" data after the matchmaking change.

But that system clearly looks to be on the way out. Dague urged gamers to talk about their experience after the switch on Wednesday, and promised the developers would keep them updated. "This is the continuation of a conversation in which you influence the development of Destiny," he added.

Advertisement

(Also see: Destiny: The Taken King Tips and Tricks)

Also on the way out is Harold Ryan, who is leaving Bungie after serving 16 years as president. The company has yet to name a replacement, but COO Pete Parsons is moving to become Bungie's CEO. With the sequel delayed until next year and no big expansion planned for this year, 2016 could well be crucial in seeing the future of Destiny and its ability to stay prominent in the long run.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Vivo T5 Pro 5G Becomes Significantly More Expensive in India
  1. PlayStation Pulse Elevate Wireless Speakers Price, Features Revealed Ahead of November 12 Launch
  2. Telegram Users Could Get Personalised .gram Domains if ICANN Approves
  3. Bybit Says It Prevented Over $700 Million in Losses After $1.46 Billion Hack
  4. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Hiked in India by Up to Rs. 12,000: Here’s How Much It Costs Now
  5. Control Resonant's Physical Release Delayed to October as Game Goes Gold
  6. Vivo's Android-17 Based OriginOS 7 Could Get Liquid Glass UI and More Customisation Options
  7. Nexo Australia Begins Offering Credit Lines Against Cryptocurrency Collateral
  8. WhatsApp Could Soon Let You Expand Photos to 9:16 Format on Android Using Meta AI
  9. Poco M8x 5G Colour Options, Durability Details and More Announced Ahead of India Launch
  10. OnePlus 16 Display Details Again Leaked Online; Tipped to Feature ColorOS 17
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.