PUBG: Authorities Probing Alleged Killing Due to Game's Influence, Says Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar

Reports and grievances of banned apps reappearing using similar sounding names have been forwarded to the home ministry, according to the minister.

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 25 July 2022 18:00 IST
Highlights
  • Law enforcement agencies are investigating a media report related to PUBG
  • MeitY and IT told Rajya Sabha that PUBG is not available in the country
  • Reports of banned apps appearing in new avatars are being examined

PUBG gaming app was blocked by MeitY in the year 2020

Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar on Friday said law enforcement agencies are investigating to find the reason about a "media report that a child has killed his mother based on PUBG that he has been playing". In a written replies to the Rajya Sabha, he also said there are reports and grievances of banned apps appearing in new avatars using similar-sounding names have been forwarded to the home ministry for examination.

The Minister of State for Electronics and IT also told the Rajya Sabha that gaming app PUBG was banned by MeitY in 2020 and is not available in the country.

He was responding to a query on whether crimes are being committed on influence of PUBG.

Advertisement

"There was a media report that a child has killed his mother based on PUBG that he has been playing. This is a matter of investigation by LEAs (Law Enforcement Agencies) to find the reason. But, the PUBG gaming app was blocked by MeitY in the year 2020 and the PUBG game is not available in India since then," Chandrasekhar said in a written reply.

Advertisement

According to him, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has received various reports and grievances received conveying that apps that were blocked are appearing with new avatars by using similar sounding names or rebranded with the same functionality and all such reports have been forwarded to the home ministry for examination.

To a question on the government order to remove mobile applications and reason for removing apps from 2020, Chandrasekhar said the government's objectives are aimed at ensuring an open, safe, trusted and accountable internet for its users.

Advertisement

In a separate written reply, he said the government has notified the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021.

The rules provide for removal of apps, if an app is considered unlawful under the extant law, through playstore or appstore as and when requested by an appropriate government or its authorised agency, he added.

Advertisement

The minister also said that MeitY does not keep any details of removal of mobile applications under IT Rules, 2021.


Can PUBG: New State rival BGMI and PUBG Mobile in the battle royale space? We discuss this on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  4. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  6. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date, Design, Colourways, Key Features Revealed
  7. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  2. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  3. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  4. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  5. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  6. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  7. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  8. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design, Colour Options, Key Features Revealed
  9. Kingdom Come: Deliverance's Free Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X Is Now Out
  10. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications; Charging Specifications Revealed Ahead of Launch
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.