Bangladesh Bank Cyber-Heist Said to Have Been 'State-Sponsored'

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 29 March 2017 15:40 IST

The heist of $81 million from the Bangladesh central bank's account at the New York Federal Reserve last year was "state-sponsored," an FBI officer in the Philippines, who has been involved in the investigations, said on Wednesday.

Lamont Siller, the legal attache at the US embassy, did not elaborate but his comments in a speech in Manila are a strong signal that authorities in the United States are close to naming who carried out one of the world's biggest cyber-heists.

Advertisement

Last week, officials in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity, blamed North Korea.

"We all know the Bangladesh Bank heist, this is just one example of a state-sponsored attack that was done on the banking sector," Siller told a cyber-security forum.

Advertisement

An official briefed on the probe told Reuters in Washington last week that the FBI believes North Korea was responsible for the heist. The official did not give details.

The Wall Street Journal reported US prosecutors were building potential cases that would accuse North Korea of directing the heist, and would charge alleged Chinese middlemen.

Advertisement

The FBI has been leading an international investigation into the February 2016 heist, in which hackers breached Bangladesh Bank's systems and used the SWIFT messaging network to order the transfer of nearly $1 billion from its account at the New York Fed.

The US central bank rejected most of the requests but filled some of them, resulting in $81 million being transferred to bank accounts in the Philippines. The money was quickly withdrawn and later disappeared in the huge casino industry in the country.

Advertisement

There have been no arrests in the case.

A Chinese casino owner in the Philippines told that Senate inquiry he took millions of dollars from two Chinese high-rollers in February. He said the two men were responsible for transferring the stolen money from Dhaka to Manila.

Philippine investigators have filed criminal charges against several individuals and a remittance company for money laundering in connection with the heist at the country's Department of Justice (DOJ).

None of these cases have yet been filed in court, however.

Siller said the FBI was working closely with the Philippines government "to ensure those responsible for the attack do not go unpunished."

"So for us in the FBI, it is never over. We are going to bring these individuals to justice so that we can show others, that you maybe be able to muster such attacks, even state-sponsored, but you will not get away with it in the end."

© Thomson Reuters 2017

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Portronics Launches Vayu Nano Tyre Inflator in India at This Price
  2. New OTT Releases This Week: Dhurandhar: Raw and Uncut, Desi Bling, System, and More
  3. HMD Thunder Pro Design Renders Leaked Online Alongside Key Specifications
  4. Realme 16T Launched in India With 50-Megapixel Main Camera, 8,000mAh Battery
  5. Realme Buds Air 8 Pro Launched in India With Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life
  6. Realme 16T 5G Review: The Pro Looks at an Affordable Price
  7. Oura Ring 5 Could Launch on This Date With a Redesigned Look
  1. Mysterious Stacked Rocks Spotted by NASA Perseverance Rover on Mars
  2. Meta Launches Forum App as a Reddit-Like Platform for Discussions With AI-Powered Assistant for Admins
  3. Xiaomi 17T Series Teased to Arrive in Two Display Variants; Colour Options Revealed Ahead of Debut
  4. Honor Magic 9 Series Could Feature 8,000mAh Batteries; Tipster Leaks Camera, Display Upgrades
  5. Google Might Sell Over 2 Million Android XR-Powered Smart Glasses This Year: Report
  6. Google's Pixel Glow Feature for the Google Pixel 11 May Have Accidentally Leaked During Google I/O 2026
  7. iQOO 16 Global and Indian Debut Seemingly Confirmed as Handset Gets Listed on IMEI Database: Report
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Camera Details Confirmed, WIll Arrive in Three Colourways
  9. Oppo Reno 16 Bags BIS, TUV SUD and TDRA Certifications That Hint at Imminent Global Debut
  10. Infinity Ward Working on Next Call of Duty, Says It's Making 'Definitive Modern Warfare' Title
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.