EU backs down on its threat to suspend data sharing agreements with US

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 28 November 2013 18:25 IST
The European Union backed down on Wednesday from threats to suspend agreements granting the United States access to European data, rejecting calls for a tougher stance over alleged U.S. spying.

The move marks an abrupt about-turn for the European Commission, the EU executive, after warnings it issued in July to U.S. officials following revelations that Washington had spied on European citizens and EU institutions.

Cecilia Malmstrom, the EU's commissioner for home affairs, said she had found no proof of U.S. wrongdoing, either in the sharing of flight passenger records or in the tracking of international payments.

"I have received written assurances from the U.S. authorities," Malmstrom said, referring to the SWIFT payments system in Belgium, which exchanges millions of messages on transactions globally and which the United States has access to in order to intercept terrorism plots.

"The Commission does not suspend an agreement with an international partner on the basis of two articles in the newspaper," she told a news conference.

Advertisement

Malmstrom also said there had been no abuse of the Passenger Name Record agreement, which covers data provided by passengers when booking tickets and checking in for flights.

The spying allegations have complicated EU-U.S. ties at a delicate moment in transatlantic relations, as Brussels and Washington are negotiating a free-trade pact that would encompass almost half the world's economy.

Advertisement

The Commission's decision is also a setback for the European Parliament, which had demanded an end to the accords unless Washington revealed the extent of its surveillance in Europe, made public by fugitive former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

"I know that citizens' trust in Europe has been shaken by the Snowden case. We have engaged with the United States to bring clarity on these cases," Malmstrom said.

Advertisement

The United States denies any wrongdoing and the U.S. embassy to the European Union in Brussels welcomed Wednesday's decision to uphold the data-sharing agreements, saying in a statement they reflected "the breadth and depth of U.S.-EU cooperation".

'Hunky dory'
EU lawmakers voted last month to suspend Washington's ability to track international payments through the SWIFT database because of suspicions that U.S. agents trawled too deeply for information, abusing an agreement giving the United States only limited access.

Sophie in 't Veld, a Dutch Liberal member of the European Parliament, criticised the Commission's move.

"They are putting diplomatic relations ahead of citizens rights. The Commission is being extremely timid to the Americans," she told Reuters.

"They have done an investigation and concluded that everything is hunky dory. This is not serious," she said, adding that taking the United States at its word was naive.

Lawmakers fret that the United States is covertly drawing extra information from SWIFT following leaked U.S. documents aired by Globo, Brazil's biggest television network, indicating that Washington has secretly tapped into the database.

Malmstrom said she would stay alert to any unlawful U.S. behaviour but had already warned the European Parliament she had no plans to propose a suspension of SWIFT to EU members.

The data-sharing agreements are part of transatlantic cooperation following the September 11, 2001 attacks on U.S. cities.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Edward Snowden, Internet, NSA
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  2. Infinix Hot 70 Pro India Launch Timeline Announced; Colourways Teased
  3. Here's How Much the Vivo Y31T 5G Could Cost in India
  4. iPhone 18 Pro Case Leak Hints at No Major Design Changes
  5. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  6. Moto G Max Goes on Sale in India: Check Price, Offers
  7. iQOO Z11 Review
  8. OnePlus Could Exclusively Launch Another 4G Phone in India Next Month
  9. iQOO Buds Review: Budget TWS With Not-So-Budget Sound
  10. iQOO Gaming Tablet Tipped to Get Active Cooling, Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 Pro SoC
  1. BitGo Becomes First Global Crypto Firm to Secure South Korea VASP Licence
  2. Huawei Pura X View Pre-Orders Begin; Confirmed to Feature Wide-Screen 16:9.5 Display, 7,000mAh Battery
  3. iQOO Gaming Tablet Tipped to Get Active Cooling, Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 Pro SoC
  4. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  5. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  6. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  7. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
  8. Google Photos Could Soon Add a Map View to Ask Photos Search Results, Feature Spotted in APK Teardown
  9. Infinix Hot 70 Pro 5G India Launch Confirmed for September, Design and Colours Revealed
  10. Vivo Y31T 5G Price in India Tipped Days After Firm Revealed Full Specifications List Ahead of Launch
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.