Blue Whale Challenge: Government Directs Google, Facebook to Remove Links

Advertisement
By Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: 16 August 2017 12:31 IST
Highlights
  • Links with 'Blue Whale challenge' or similar phrases will be removed
  • The people behind the challenge should be reported, government says
  • Blue Whale challenge's tasks are shared via social media sites

The government has directed technology giants, including Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Yahoo to remove all links which direct users to the dangerous Blue Whale Challenge.

The online challenge had allegedly claimed the life of a Mumbai teenager Manpreet Singh Sahani last month.

"Instances of children committing suicide while playing Blue Whale Challenge have been reported in India. It is understood that an administrator of the game [sic] uses social media platform to invite/incite children to play this game [sic], which may eventually lead the child to extreme steps for self-inflicting injuries including suicide," a letter sent by the Ministry of Electronics and IT, made available on Tuesday, read.

Advertisement

Blue Whale Game: All You Need to Know About the Deadly 'Game'

"You are hereby required to ensure that any such link of this deadly game [sic] in its own name or any similar game [sic] is immediately removed from your platform," the letter dated August 11, added.

Advertisement

"The Blue Whale" reportedly created by a former convict in Russia, allegedly psychologically stimulates the players to indulge in daring, self-destructive tasks for 50 days before finally taking the 'winning' step of killing themselves, and each task must be filmed and shared as 'proof'.

"The proponent of Blue Whale Challenge should be reported to law enforcement agencies," the letter said.

Advertisement

On July 30, a 14-year-old schoolboy Manpreet Singh Sahani allegedly walked off the fifth floor of his building in Sher-e-Punjab Colony in Andheri East in Mumbai.

Prior to his death leap, the Class 9 student texted a friend of his intentions: "I am going to the building to jump", and before anybody could rush to help him, he had already jumped off.

Advertisement

His friends claim that he was playing the 50-day 'dare challenge' of "The Blue Whale" and when he spoke of not attending school anymore and about the suicide, most dismissed it lightly.

Though the Mumbai Police had said officially there is no evidence to link his death to the online challenge, they had seized Manpreet's laptop, mobiles and other gadgets for further investigation.

Even as Mumbai Police investigate Manpreet's death and its link to the online challenge, it has reportedly claimed the lives of over 130 boys and girls across the world so far.

According to experts, teenagers are more vulnerable because the virtual world allows them to act freely - without the restrictions prevalent in the real world - which seems to give them an adrenaline boost.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  6. Nothing Confirms the Upcoming Phone 4a Series Will Sport a Snapdragon Chip
  7. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  8. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online
  10. First User Report of iPhone Air's C1X Modem Failure Surfaces Online
  1. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  3. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  5. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  6. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  7. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  8. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
  10. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games in March
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.