Facebook Provides Clarification on Why It Pulled ‘Kisan Ekta Morcha’ Page for Hours

Facebook provided an update hours after initially saying that it regretted the inconvenience caused.

Advertisement
By Jagmeet Singh | Updated: 21 December 2020 16:28 IST
Highlights
  • Facebook pulled the Kisan Ekta Morcha page on Sunday
  • It went offline just amid livestream by a farmer leader
  • Facebook faced criticism for taking down the page

Facebook said that the page was flagged as spam by its automated systems

Facebook on Monday clarified that it pulled the Kisan Ekta Morcha page as it was flagged as spam by its automated systems. The page is being used by farmers protesting the new agricultural laws. Facebook faced significant public outrage and criticism for taking down the page for around three hours on Sunday. The removal came amid a livestream taking place by one of the farmer unions' leaders. The social media giant initially didn't provide any clarity on the matter and just said in a comment that it regretted the “inconvenience caused.”

A Facebook spokesperson told Gadgets 360 in a new statement on Monday that the Kisan Ekta Morcha page had been restored in less than three hours.

“As per our review, our automated systems found an increased activity on the Facebook page www.facebook.com/kisanektamorcha and flagged it as spam, which violates our Community Standards. We restored the page in less than three hours when we became aware of the context,” the spokesperson said.

Advertisement

The update from Facebook came just hours after it initially released a statement in which it only expressed regret for the inconvenience caused due to the sudden removal.

Advertisement

The pulling of the Kisan Ekta Morcha page invoked scathing criticism against Facebook. Several users took to Twitter to express their reproval.

 

Some people also alleged that the Instagram account of Kisan Ekta Morcha had also been pulled — alongside its Facebook page. However, the spokesperson said that only the Facebook page was affected by the automated systems, while the Instagram account remained unaffected.

Advertisement

In June, Facebook blocked access to the hashtag #sikh on its platform as well as Instagram. The company at that time said that the hashtag in question was “mistakenly blocked” following a report that was inaccurately reviewed by its teams. It had also apologised for that blockage, though it blocked the #sikh hashtag again on Instagram for some hours late last month.


Should the government explain why Chinese apps were banned? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement
Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  2. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  3. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  4. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  5. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  6. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  7. Poco X8 Pro, X8 Pro Max Colour Options, Design Leaked Online
  8. Google Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025 on Android
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online
  10. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  1. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  2. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  3. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  4. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  5. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  6. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  7. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  8. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  9. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  10. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.