Mark Zuckerberg Defends Facebook in New Data Breach Controversy

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 6 December 2018 11:01 IST

Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg pushed back Wednesday against emails showing the social media giant offering Netflix and other popular apps preferential access to people's data even after it had tightened its privacy rules.

A British parliamentary committee investigating whether the social media behemoth was being used to manipulate the results of elections published 250 pages of internal Facebook documents earlier Wednesday.

They show executives holding discussions about big companies such as Netflix being granted preferential access to user data even after Facebook had tightened its privacy rules in 2014-15.

Advertisement

Zuckerberg featured in one email exchange from 2012 in which he mulled selling the information to developers.

Advertisement

The emails feature in a lawsuit filed against Facebook in a California court by the now-defunct US app developer Six4Three.

They were sealed by the presiding judge but seized by the British committee under a never-before used parliamentary enforcement procedure last month.

Advertisement

Zuckerberg said he was writing because he did not want the emails to "misrepresent our actions or motives".

"Like any organisation, we had a lot of internal discussion and people raised different ideas," Zuckerberg said in a message posted on Facebook.

Advertisement

He did not directly address Facebook's apparent decision to give some of the world's most popular apps special access to friends lists and other personal information that many people want to keep private.

"Ultimately, we decided on a model where we continued to provide the developer platform for free and developers could choose to buy ads if they wanted," Zuckerberg wrote.

But he added: "To be clear, that's different from selling people's data. We've never sold anyone's data."

'Public interest'
The UK parliamentary committee headed by Damian Collins - a member of Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservative Party - calls the policy of giving apps privileged information about users "whitelisting".

"Facebook have clearly entered into whitelisting agreements with certain companies, which meant that after the platform changes in 2014/15 they maintained full access to friends data," Collins wrote in a note accompanying the emails.

"The idea of linking access to friends data to the financial value of the developers relationship with Facebook is a recurring feature of the documents."

The emails show Facebook holding "whitelisting" discussions with the Russian-founded dating service Wadoo and US giants such as Netflix and the cab-hailing service Lyft.

Most of the emails released by Collins were from years before Facebook had tightened its privacy policy rules.

Collins said his decision to ignore the US court gagging order and release the exchanges was based on "considerable public interest" in their content.

"We need a more public debate about the rights of social media users and the smaller businesses who are required to work with the tech giants," he wrote in a Twitter post.

Zuckerberg did not condemn the emails' publication or threaten any reciprocal measures against Collins.

"I understand there is a lot of scrutiny on how we run our systems," Zuckerberg wrote.

"That's healthy given the vast number of people who use our services around the world."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Facebook, Six4Three, Wadoo
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Adobe Lets Students in India Access Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly for Free
  3. Nothing Confirms the Upcoming Phone 4a Series Will Sport a Snapdragon Chip
  4. Vivo V70 Elite, V70 Launched in India With 6,500mAh Batteries: See Prices
  5. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  6. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Bring These Useful Upgrades to Bixby
  7. Google's New AI Model Can Create Music Based on Your Image, Text Prompts
  8. MakeMyTrip Will Add These OpenAI-Powered Features to Its Myra Trip Assistant
  9. WhatsApp's New Feature Allows New Members to View Past Group Messages
  10. Samsung Galaxy A37, Galaxy A57 India Launch Timeline, Specifications Tipped; Spotted on IM
  1. iPhone Air User Complains of C1X Modem Failure as Mobile Diagnostics Suggest Hardware Issue
  2. Redmi Buds 8 Active Price, Design, Key Features Leaked Ahead of Anticipated Launch
  3. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Introduce Upgraded Bixby With Natural Voice Commands, Real-Time Web Access
  4. Poco X8 Pro and Poco X8 Pro Max to Feature 1.5K OLED Screens, 100W Charging Support, Tipster Claims
  5. WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History Feature for Easy Onboarding of New Members
  6. Lunar Surface Is Cracking as New Tectonic Map Reveals Recent Ridges Stretching Across the Moon, Study Suggests
  7. Nothing Phone 4a Series Confirmed to Launch With Snapdragon Chipsets: Expected Specifications, Features
  8. Tu Meri Main Tera Main Tera Tu Meri Out on OTT: Where to Watch Kartik Aaryan, Ananya Panday’s Rom-Com?
  9. AI Impact Summit: Adobe Offers Indian Students Free Access to Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly Apps
  10. Meta Reportedly Plans Smartwatch Launch in 2026 With Meta AI, Health Tracking Features
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.