Twitter Backtracks, Allows Users to Post Previously Blocked New York Post Article on Joe Biden’s Son

Twitter had initially said the article violated its "hacked materials" policy.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 17 October 2020 10:15 IST
Highlights
  • Twitter took the new move following feedback
  • CEO Jack Dorsey said "straight blocking of URLs was wrong"
  • Twitter had briefly restricted US President's campaign account

Twitter acknowledged Friday it had stopped blocking links to early versions of the New York Post article

Twitter on Friday confirmed it reversed its decision to block links to a New York Post article about Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's son, despite reaffirming the ban late on Thursday.

Republicans who had decried Twitter's earlier actions posted the story freely on the site. "You can now share the bombshell story Big Tech didn't want you to see," Arizona Representative Paul Gosar tweeted on Friday morning.

Twitter acknowledged Friday it had stopped blocking links to early versions of the New York Post articles, saying the private information included in them had become widely available in the press and on other platforms.

Advertisement

The company's policy chief Vijaya Gadde said Thursday night that Twitter had decided to make changes to its hacked materials policy following feedback, but a spokesman told Reuters that the New York Post story would still be blocked for "violating the rules on private personal information."

Advertisement

"We will no longer remove hacked content unless it is directly shared by hackers or those acting in concert with them," Gadde said in a series of tweets. "We will label Tweets to provide context instead of blocking links from being shared on Twitter."

Twitter had initially said the Post story violated its "hacked materials" policy, which bars the distribution of content obtained through hacking, but has provided no details on what materials it viewed as hacked.

Advertisement

Twitter Chief Executive Jack Dorsey said in a tweet Friday morning that "straight blocking of URLs was wrong" and suggested that Twitter instead should have applied tools like labels.

"Our goal is to attempt to add context, and now we have capabilities to do that," he tweeted.

Advertisement

Tweets of the story successfully published on Friday did not have any labels attached. Twitter declined to answer Reuters questions on whether that was due to an error or a policy decision.

The company had briefly restricted the Twitter account of US President Donald Trump's re-election campaign after it posted a video that referred to the New York Post story on Thursday.

US Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham and Republican Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley said on Thursday the committee would vote on Tuesday on sending a subpoena to Dorsey.

Separately, the Senate Commerce Committee confirmed Friday it will hold an October 28 hearing with Dorsey and the chief executives of Facebook and Google parent Alphabet and will look at "how best to preserve the internet as a forum for open discourse."

The companies previously confirmed the executives would remotely appear at the hearing.

© Thomson Reuters 2020


Should the government explain why Chinese apps were banned? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. China's New Neutrino Detector Produces World-Leading Results
  2. OnePlus 12R Gets OxygenOS 16 Update With These New Features
  3. Apple Tipped to Turn to Intel to Build Its Entry-Level M-Series Chips
  1. Fermi Telescope Detects Gamma-Ray Halo That Could Be First Direct Dark Matter Signal
  2. Researchers Develop New Materials for Truly Stretchable OLED Screens
  3. OxygenOS 16 Update Rolling Out to OnePlus 12R Globally, Brings New AI Tools and Upgraded Performance
  4. Dhurandhar OTT Release: Know When, Where to Watch the Ranveer Singh, Sanjay Dutt-Starrer
  5. Born Hungry Is Now Streaming Online: Know Where to Watch the Journey of Chef Sash Simpson
  6. Brat Is Streaming Now: Where to Watch Darling Krishna’s Betting-World Drama
  7. Bad Guys 2 OTT Release: When and Where to Watch the Animated Heist-Comedy
  8. Apple Tipped to Turn to Intel to Build Its Entry-Level M-Series Chipsets
  9. Paanch Minar Is Now Streaming Online: Know Where to Watch Raj Tarun's Crime Comedy
  10. Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ Launched in India With 11-Inch Display, 7,040mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2025. All rights reserved.