DoT pleads helplessness at fishermen's cell coverage plight

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 22 October 2012 13:40 IST
The government cannot force mobile operators to go beyond their roll-out obligation and give phone coverage to fishermen venturing into the deep sea, the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has informed the Naval authorities.

The DoT has responded to the proposal of Directorate of Naval Signals, which suggested that the mobile operators be asked to extend seamless coverage of 15-20 nautical miles off the coasts.

The objective of the proposal of the Defence establishment, as discussed in the recent meeting of the naval commanders, was to enable fishermen to remain in contact with their families when at sea.

"...the expansion of network beyond roll-out obligations is to be done by mobile operators as per their business plans. Thus, giving the mandate as suggested by Defence Ministry is not feasible," the DoT said recently in a communication to the Naval authorities.

Advertisement

At present, the mobile coverage in the sea is provided up to a distance of five km (one nautical mile is equivalent to 1.85 km).

Advertisement

Suggesting alternatives, the DoT said satellite phones could be the best way to give the connectivity to the fishermen operating deep in the sea.

"Other solutions include use of offshore oil rigs, tiny islands etc where base stations can be set up with wider range having backhaul connectivity to the network of operators through satellite," the DoT said.

Advertisement

The possibility of setting up floating platforms in the sea where solar powered base stations can be installed could also be explored,it added.

Safety of Indian fishermen, who at times stray into foreign waters, is an area of concern for the government.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  2. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  3. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  4. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  5. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  6. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  7. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  8. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  9. First User Report of iPhone Air's C1X Modem Failure Surfaces Online
  1. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  2. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  3. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  4. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  5. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  6. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  7. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  8. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  9. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  10. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.