New Alcatel-Lucent CEO to unveil plan in June

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 28 March 2013 17:01 IST
Michel Combes, who will take over as chief executive of Alcatel-Lucent on April 2, will present his plan for the loss-making telecom equipment maker in June, a spokeswoman said.

The 51 year-old former head of Vodafone's European business faces a steep task if he is to solve the group's problems of persistent cash burn, high costs, and stiff competition from larger rivals Sweden's Ericsson and China's Huawei.

His predecessor Ben Verwaayen was unable to deliver a promised turnaround in his five-year-long tenure, hampered by being too slow to launch major cost cuts and also weak demand for telecom gear last year. His departure was announced in February after the group posted a 1.4 billion-euro net loss for 2012.

"Combes gave himself the month of March to listen and learn about the situation of the company by meeting with major customers and employees," said a spokeswoman for Alcatel-Lucent.

Advertisement

"He will take two months to decide on a plan and will announce in June the major strategic orientations for the group in the three coming years."

Advertisement

Labour union representatives who met with Combes on Monday said they expected him to accelerate the 1.25 billion euro cost-cutting plan, which includes 5,500 job cuts, started by previous management, but to take time to decide on asset sales because the group secured additional funding in a January bond issue.

"Michel Combes explained that it was imperative to go more quickly on the plan to cut jobs," said a labour union source who declined to be named because the talks were internal.

Advertisement

"He doesn't reject the idea of asset sales if they make sense, but we are no longer in an urgent mode to sell under pressure from the markets."

Alcatel-Lucent said last year it was considering divesting non-core assets worth 1-1.5 billion euros. Banking sources earlier told Reuters that the undersea optical cable business, and a unit that sells telecom gear and services to corporate customers were being evaluated for sale.

Advertisement

Some analysts have already begun to say that Combes may have to go much further to reduce the size and product portfolio of Alcatel-Lucent for it to achieve its 2015 target for an adjusted operating margin of 6 to 9 percent.

Morgan Stanley analyst Francois Meunier argued in a note that Alcatel-Lucent should sell off its entire optics business - undersea cables and land where competition with China's Huawei is fierce - as well as its fixed line products, long one of the group's core strengths.

Pierre Ferragu from Bernstein Research also believes a more radical revamp of the group's activities will be needed, but questioned whether the company's board and management team would agree.

"For the time being, it seems that Combes does not have the backing from the board to implement radical changes to the company's perimeter," said Ferragu, adding that the CEO's pay package and bonus were linked to the 2015 objectives laid out by his predecessor.

"But Combes could later come back to the board in six months or a year and seek support for bolder changes."

Alcatel-Lucent's selling and administrative expenses as a percentage of sales stands at 16 percent, compared with 11 percent for competitors Ericsson and 10.5 percent for Nokia-Siemens Netwoks, according to analysts.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Alcatel Lucent, telecom
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  4. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  5. Xiaomi Civi 6 Could Launch in China Soon With Customisable AI Shortcut Key
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.