Apple Could Bar Epic Games' Fortnite From App Store, US Judge Rules

Apple does not allow such alternative payment systems and removed Fortnite from the App Store and threatened to terminate Epic's developer accounts.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 11 October 2020 15:19 IST
Highlights
  • Epic Games and Apple were not immediately available for comment
  • Epic Games had filed for a preliminary injunction
  • Epic Games has strong arguments regarding distribution, the judge said

A federal judge in California on Friday ruled in an injunction request that Apple could bar Epic Games' Fortnite game from its App Store but must not harm Epic's developer tools business, which includes the Unreal Engine software used by hundreds of other video games.

"The Court maintains its findings from the temporary restraining order and hereby grants in part and denies in part Epic Games' motion for a preliminary injunction," District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers ruled.

Epic Games and Apple were not immediately available for comment on the ruling.

Advertisement

Last month, Epic Games had filed for a preliminary injunction that would put its game back in the App Store and restore its developer account after the iPhone maker terminated Epic Games' account on its App Store.

Advertisement

Epic sued Apple in August, claiming that the company's 30 percent commission on some in-app purchases made through its App Store, combined with Apple's controls over what apps users can download to their iPhones, constituted anticompetitive behaviour. The lawsuit came after Epic rolled out its own payment system in the popular Fortnite video game.

Apple does not allow such alternative payment systems and removed Fortnite from the App Store and threatened to terminate Epic's developer accounts, which would have affected Epic's other business of selling software used to create games.

Advertisement

Epic moved to stop Apple from taking both steps. The judge previously issued an emergency order that allowed Apple to pull Epic's titles from the App Store but barred the iPhone maker from taking any action that would harm Epic's developer tools.

"Epic Games has strong arguments regarding Apple's exclusive distribution through the iOS App Store, and the in-app purchase ("IAP") system through which Apple takes 30 percent of certain IAP payments", the judge said in Friday's ruling.

Advertisement

However, she added that Epic Games has not sufficiently addressed Apple's counter arguments. "The equities, addressed in the temporary restraining order, remain the same."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  5. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  6. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  7. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  8. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  9. Amazfit T-Rex Ultra 2 With BioTracker 6.0 Sensor Launched at This Price
  10. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  1. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  2. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  3. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  4. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  5. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  6. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  7. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  8. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  9. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  10. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.