Tesla Faces Challenge as Rivals Decide to Form Electric Vehicle Charging Firm

Tesla, which accounted for more than 60 percent of US EV sales last year, has the largest current network of fast-chargers.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 26 July 2023 20:37 IST
Highlights
  • The automakers did not specify how much they would invest individually
  • A name for the venture was not announced
  • The new charging company will support both CCS and the Tesla standard

The group includes General Motors, Stellantis, Hyundai Motor, Kia, Honda, BMW, Mercedes Benz

A group of major automakers on Wednesday said they were forming a new company to provide electric vehicle charging in the United States in a challenge to Tesla and a bid to take advantage of Biden administration subsidies.

The group includes General Motors, Stellantis, Hyundai Motor and its Kia affiliate, Honda, BMW and Mercedes Benz, brands representing about half of US vehicle sales but a small share of the EV market dominated by Tesla.

The unusual coalition of competitors said the new joint-venture company would aim to become the leading provider of fast charging in North America with a target of rolling out 30,000 chargers, starting along major highways and in cities. 

The automakers did not specify how much they would invest individually or collectively, but said they would be open to additional investment or participation from other companies, including outside the auto industry. A name for the venture was not announced.

Advertisement

Tesla, which accounted for more than 60 percent of US EV sales last year, has the largest current network of fast-chargers with almost 18,000 Superchargers in the United States. 

Tesla said earlier this year it would open part of that charging network to EVs from rival brands in order to be eligible for a share of funding from the $7.5 billion (nearly Rs. 61,500 crore) in federal subsidies on offer to expand the use of EVs.

Advertisement

Tesla's lead in building out a network of chargers has given it sway in setting the standard for how future EVs will connect and power up, something smaller charging companies and other EV makers have viewed with concern.

GM, Mercedes and others have signed on to adopt Tesla-developing charging technology from 2025 to get access to a larger share of its Superchargers.

Advertisement

The other automakers – Stellantis, Hyundai, Honda and BMW – have not committed to the Tesla technology known as the North American Charging Standard (NACS) and have product plans that rely on a rival known as the Combined Charging System (CCS).

The new charging company will support both CCS and the Tesla standard.

“A strong charging network should be available for all – under the same conditions – and be built together with a win-win spirit,” Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares said in a statement.

In a statement, chief executives of the seven auto brands said a charging network built out like gas stations with restrooms, food service and retail operations would support a faster rollout of EVs, which they said they expected would top 50 percent of US sales by 2030.

The new company would compete against established EV charging companies, including Volkswagen's Electrify America, ChargePoint and EVGo, which are also looking to accelerate the rollout of chargers with federal funding.

The Biden administration has set a target of hitting 5,00,000 chargers by 2030, an almost four-fold increase.

© Thomson Reuters 2023  


Will the Nothing Phone 2 serve as the successor to the Phone 1, or will the two co-exist? We discuss the company's recently launched handset and more on the latest episode of Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. BGMI Lite Pre-Registrations for Android Users to Open on August 25
  2. iQOO Z11S Launched With 10,000mAh Battery, 144Hz AMOLED Display
  3. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Debuts With Dimensity 9500M Chip
  4. PlayStation Pulse Elevate Wireless Speakers Price, Features Revealed
  5. Vivo T5 Pro 5G Becomes Significantly More Expensive in India
  6. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Increased by Up to Rs. 12,000
  7. Vivo's OriginOS 7 Leak Reveals New Glass Styles, Control Centre Tweaks
  8. Realme P4s 5G to Launch in India on August 26 With These Features
  9. Telegram Users May Get Their Own .gram Domains Under New Proposal
  1. PlayStation Pulse Elevate Wireless Speakers Price, Features Revealed Ahead of November 12 Launch
  2. Telegram Users Could Get Personalised .gram Domains if ICANN Approves
  3. Bybit Says It Prevented Over $700 Million in Losses After $1.46 Billion Hack
  4. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Hiked in India by Up to Rs. 12,000: Here’s How Much It Costs Now
  5. Control Resonant's Physical Release Delayed to October as Game Goes Gold
  6. Vivo's Android-17 Based OriginOS 7 Could Get Liquid Glass UI and More Customisation Options
  7. Nexo Australia Begins Offering Credit Lines Against Cryptocurrency Collateral
  8. WhatsApp Could Soon Let You Expand Photos to 9:16 Format on Android Using Meta AI
  9. Poco M8x 5G Colour Options, Durability Details and More Announced Ahead of India Launch
  10. OnePlus 16 Display Details Again Leaked Online; Tipped to Feature ColorOS 17
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.