Australia Online Census Shutdown After Cyber-Attacks

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 10 August 2016 10:29 IST
Australia was forced to reassure its citizens that their personal data was secure Wednesday, after malicious attacks by overseas hackers prompted an embarrassing shutdown of the online census.

Australians are required to complete the census every five years or face fines, and this was the first time there had been a major push for people to fill in the survey online.

But as thousands of people headed to the official website Tuesday evening, a series of denial-of-service attacks - attempts to overwhelm an online system to prevent people accessing it - prompted authorities to take the site offline.

"It was an attack, and we believe from overseas," said David Kalisch from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, which organises the census.

Advertisement

"The scale of the attack, it was quite clear it was malicious," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Advertisement

The census website was not back online Wednesday.

The attacks are an embarrassment for the government, which earlier this year confirmed that the weather bureau, which reportedly owns one of the nation's largest supercomputers, suffered a "cyber intrusion" in 2015.

Advertisement

The Labor opposition jumped on the incident, labelling it "the worst-run census in Australian history" and "one of the worst IT debacles Australia has ever seen".

But Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull insisted that no data had been compromised.

Advertisement

The ABS had acted with "an abundance of caution" in shutting down the site after a large-scale denial of service attempt followed by a hardware failure when a router became overloaded, he said.

"The site has not been hacked, it has not been interfered with," he told reporters in Sydney.

The statistics bureau reassured Australians that their data was secure, with Kalisch saying the shutdown "actually confirms the strong position that the ABS has taken in terms of security".

Some 2.33 million online forms were submitted before the outage and safely stored.

"The data that comes to ABS is encrypted and it was secured and received safely at the ABS... we have it at the ABS, no-one else has it," Kalisch said.

On its Twitter account, the ABS Census insisted that no fines would be imposed on the thousands of people unable to complete the survey, provoking even more anger.

"Fine yourselves for the completely incompetent way this was handled," wrote one respondent to @ABSCensus.

Australians officially have until September 23 to complete the census, with some two thirds of respondents expected to use the internet rather than paper to complete the survey this year.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Cyber Attack, Hacking, Internet
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance Gets a Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. Samsung's 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Spotted in Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  4. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Lands on IMEI Database, Could Launch Soon
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.