China Launches New Internet Cleanup Campaign; More Websites Blocked

The campaign will punish and expose websites for "illegal and criminal actions".

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 13 June 2019 15:15 IST

China has launched a campaign to clean up its internet, state media said on Wednesday, amid a fresh wave of apparent censorship by authorities that has blocked more foreign media websites and shut down domestic accounts on social media.

The "rectification" effort was launched in May by the cyberspace administration, the information technology ministry, the public security bureau and the markets regulator and will run until the end of the year, the official Xinhua news agency said.

The campaign will punish and expose websites for "illegal and criminal actions", failing to "fulfil their obligation" to take safety measures or the theft of personal information, it added.

The campaign follows a series of shutdowns and blockages of certain websites and social media accounts.

Advertisement

Several foreign media beyond Beijing's control, such as the Washington Post and The Guardian, have not been accessible online since last weekend, adding to a list of blocked sites that includes Reuters.

Online Chinese financial news publication Wallstreetcn.com said on Monday it took its website and mobile app offline at the authorities' request, but gave no details of the rules it may have broken.

Advertisement

Social media accounts ranging from those publishing politically sensitive material to financial news have also been shut.

Authorities said in November they shut 9,800 accounts of news providers deemed to be posting sensational, vulgar or politically harmful content.

Advertisement

The Chinese internet regulator's Shanghai office said in a statement on Wednesday that it and the markets regulator's Shanghai office summoned representatives from Baidu Inc and criticised the firm for unethical advertising using vulgar content or overly sensational titles.

The authorities ordered the search engine operator to rectify its advertising business to eliminate such practices, according to the statement, which quoted a Baidu representative as saying the firm would make necessary changes.

When asked for comment, a Baidu representative referred to the remarks in the statement without commenting further.

In recent years, China has regularly campaigned to police its internet, shutting down websites, social media accounts and mobile apps.

"The cleaning drives are not purely political. Many, possibly even most, of those accounts were probably spam, porn or other types of content that the platforms have made clear are undesirable and unwelcome," said Fergus Ryan, an analyst with the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.

"The problem is that in among those legitimate removals are accounts that are removed for political reasons."

Shimin Fang, a popular science writer who drew public scrutiny in China for critical comments about telecommunications giant Huawei Technologies Co, said he found out on Tuesday all of his Chinese social media accounts had been taken down.

Fang, who lives in the United States, said he did not know what had happened until some readers told him they could no longer find his postings and that the platform operators would not tell him why his accounts were shut down.

"My guess is that from now on any influential self-media accounts will not be allowed to exist, no matter (if) they are political or not," Fang told Reuters in an email.

The term "self-media" is mostly used on Chinese social media to describe independent news accounts that produce original content but are not officially registered with the authorities.

"The Chinese internet winter is coming," Fang said.

 

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: China
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Krafton Confirms BGMI Lite Is Coming to India by the End of 2026
  2. Poco F9 Pro, Poco F9 Ultra Leak Reveals European Price, Specifications
  3. Is the 'Ultra' Era Ending? Xiaomi 18 Ultra Reportedly Scrapped
  4. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India Later This Month
  5. This Vivo Y Series Phone Will Launch in India Soon: See Key Specifications
  6. POCO M8x 5G Price, Specifications Tipped Ahead of India Launch
  7. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Camera Samples, Live Photo Features Revealed
  1. Vivo Y31T 5G India Launch Confirmed; Full Specifications List, Design, and More Listed Online
  2. Vivo Y51 Pro 5G, Vivo Y31 and More Y Series Phones Receive Price Hikes in India: Check New Prices
  3. Xiaomi 18 Ultra Launch Reportedly Scrapped With 'Pro Max' Becoming Top Flagship; Oppo, Vivo to Follow Suit
  4. Bitcoin Falls Below $63,000 as Middle East Tensions Weigh on Crypto
  5. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Camera Samples Reveal 50-Megapixel Sony Sensor; Leak Suggests 9,100mAh Battery
  6. Vivo Y31T Specifications, Design Leak Ahead of Launch, Tipped to Feature 7,200mAh Battery
  7. Kingdom Hearts IV Will Launch in Late 2027, Square Enix Confirms
  8. Poco M8x 5G India Launch Date Announced; to Feature Snapdragon 4 Gen 5 Chipset
  9. Pova 8 Pro 5G Full Specifications List, Colour Options Revealed Ahead of India Launch
  10. Poco F9 Pro, Poco F9 Ultra European Prices and Specifications Leaked Online Ahead of Launch
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.