EU says Google must change search results presentation - report

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 11 January 2013 09:56 IST
Google will be forced to change the way its search results are presented in Europe or face antitrust charges for "diverting traffic" to its own services, The Financial Times reported the European Union's antitrust chief as saying.

The EU's competition commissioner, Joaquin Almunia, told the newspaper in an interview published on Friday that he intends to prevent Google from allegedly distorting choices for consumers and taking business from rivals.

"We are still investigating, but my conviction is are diverting traffic," the newspaper quoted him as saying, referring to Google's preferential treatment of its own vertical search services.

"They are monetizing this kind of business, the strong position they have in the general search market and this is not only a dominant position, I think I fear there is an abuse of this dominant position," he said.

The EU issued Google an ultimatum on December 18, giving it a month to come up with detailed proposals to resolved a two-year investigation into complaints that it used its power to block rivals such as Microsoft.

Advertisement

Google has been the center of a two-year investigation by the EU based on complaints that Google unfairly favored its services over its rivals in search results and that it may have copied material from travel and restaurant websites without permission.

Almunia told the newspaper that his concern was "the way they present their own services" and that he was "not discussing the algorithm" the top-secret formula behind Google's search engine.

Advertisement

The FT said this suggested one facet of the solution would be labeling when Google's in-house services such as shopping comparison information - are artificially given higher billing than rivals, although other changes would likely apply to how Google services are displayed within general search engines.

He also said that while Google showed a more constructive approach at a meeting in December, he warned that he would be "obliged" to issue formal charges if its proposal was unsatisfactory.

Advertisement

Google spokesman Al Verney said: "We continue to work cooperatively with the commission."

Divergence from US
Almunia's spokesman confirmed the quotes in the FT but said they did not add a new position on behalf of the European Commission.

"He was highlighting that we think the preferential treatment may lead to diversion of traffic, which we consider anticompetitive. That's a basic concern we have as we explained last May," the spokesman, Antoine Colombani, told Reuters.

The EU's stance on Google marks a sharply different approach to that of U.S regulators, who last week ended their investigation into the company and concluded that it had not manipulated its Web search results to hurt rivals, a verdict which disappointed its rivals.

Almunia told the FT that the EU's rare divergence with the U.S. was due to the differing legal standards for abuse of dominance, as well as Google's stronger position in Europe where it handles more than 90 percent of searches.

He also dismissed the idea that an intervention would cause a rift with the US and trigger outrage at a European meddling with a US corporate giant.

He said, "I have never received a single message coming from the other side of the Atlantic saying, 'hey, what are you doing?' Everyone knows this is global."

Almunia said a separate a less advanced probe into Google's Android's operating system will remain open and outside the settlement.

© Thomson Reuters 2012

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Google, Internet
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  2. iQOO Z11 Review
  3. Here's How Much the Vivo Y31T 5G Could Cost in India
  4. Huawei Pura X View Pre-Orders Start, Confirmed to Feature 7,000mAh Battery
  5. Infinix Hot 70 Pro India Launch Timeline Announced; Colourways Teased
  6. Moto G Max Goes on Sale in India: Check Price, Offers
  7. Asus VM240 AiO All-in-One Desktop PC Debuts Alongside New Gaming Accessories 
  8. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  9. Here's When the Lava Bold N4 Lite Will Launch in India
  1. BitGo Becomes First Global Crypto Firm to Secure South Korea VASP Licence
  2. Huawei Pura X View Pre-Orders Begin; Confirmed to Feature Wide-Screen 16:9.5 Display, 7,000mAh Battery
  3. iQOO Gaming Tablet Tipped to Get Active Cooling, Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 Pro SoC
  4. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  5. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  6. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  7. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
  8. Google Photos Could Soon Add a Map View to Ask Photos Search Results, Feature Spotted in APK Teardown
  9. Infinix Hot 70 Pro 5G India Launch Confirmed for September, Design and Colours Revealed
  10. Vivo Y31T 5G Price in India Tipped Days After Firm Revealed Full Specifications List Ahead of Launch
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.