Google Asks US Court to Block Canadian Global Delisting Order

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 26 July 2017 11:32 IST
Highlights
  • Google has asked US court to bar a Canada court order
  • Canada court had ordered Google to delist a website from search results
  • Google agreed to de-index 345 webpages associated with Datalink

Google on Tuesday asked a California court to block an order from Canada that would require the US Internet giant to remove a website from worldwide search results.

The lawsuit filed by the US technology giant asks for a declaratory judgement that the Canadian court's order cannot be enforced in the United States.

The case, which tests the limits of global copyright protections in the digital era, stems from a legal dispute involving Canadian telecommunications equipment manufacturer Equustek Solutions, which successfully sued another company for relabelling its products and passing them off as their own.

Google agreed to de-index 345 webpages associated with Datalink, the offending firm in Canada. But the company fled the country and continued to market the counterfeit products from an unknown location.

Advertisement

Equustek then succeeded in obtaining a court order, upheld last month by Canada's Supreme Court, that would require Google to delete all mentions of Datalink worldwide.

In its 143-page filing, Google said the Canadian court order would be "unprecedented" and violate its rights to operate in the United States.

Advertisement

"Without a declaration from a United States court that enforcement of the Canadian order in the US is unlawful, Google believes that Equustek will continue to pursue enforcement... and seek to hold Google in contempt," the document said.

The case is the latest dispute over jurisdiction following a case in Europe where French authorities ordered Google to delete search results worldwide in compliance with Europe's "right to be forgotten" directive.

Advertisement

In the latest filing, Google said it was an "innocent non-party" in the case and simply a tool to find information.

"Google is not the Internet," the filing said. "The vast majority of Internet websites are hosted by and operated through service providers other than Google."

Additionally, it said Equustek had not asked for delisting injunctions against other search engines, such as Bing or Yahoo, or against social media platforms or other third parties.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OnePlus 16 Said to Feature BOE X4 Display Technology With Slim Bezels
  2. Redmi Note 17 Series is All Set to Launch Globally on This Date
  3. These Five Samsung Foldables Could Launch Next Year
  4. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Design Leaked via Hands-on Video
  5. Poco F9 Pro, Poco F9 Ultra Leak Reveals European Price, Specifications
  6. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Camera Samples, Live Photo Features Revealed
  7. Samsung Galaxy S27 Ultra Design Leak Reveals Horizontal Camera Layout
  8. Jio Prime Membership Re-Launched in India With These Benefits
  9. Krafton Confirms BGMI Lite Is Coming to India by the End of 2026
  10. Google Pixel 11 Ads Spark Speculation Over New Fitbit Tracker
  1. Claude Text Watermark Explained: How Anthropic Will Detect AI Content
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Leaked Hands-on Video Showcases Design
  3. Epic Games Store Confirmed to Get Official Linux Support Soon
  4. Israel’s Bits of Gold Suffers Data Breach Affecting 200,000 Customers
  5. BitMart Users Demand Answers Over Withdrawal Issues, Unpaid Salaries Ahead of August 19 Deadline
  6. Google Pixel 11 Ads Reportedly Reveal Mysterious Fitbit-Like Fitness Tracker
  7. Boltt Ace 5G, Evo 4G Battery, Display Details Teased Just Days Ahead of Launch
  8. Jio Prime Membership Relaunched in India: Tariff Certainty, Cashback Vouchers, and More Benefits
  9. Samsung Plans to Launch Five Foldable Phones Next Year, Including Galaxy Z TriFold 2, Galaxy Fold 9 Series: Report
  10. OnePlus 16 Could Offer Major Display Upgrade With BOE X4 Material and Slim Bezels
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.