US Personnel Agency Chief Resigns Over Massive Data Breach

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 11 July 2015 11:14 IST
The chief of the US federal hiring office resigned on Friday after massive computer hacks at the agency that put the personal data of more than 22 million Americans at risk, including people seeking sensitive security clearances.

The White House said Katherine Archuleta had stepped down as head of the Office of Personnel Management and that OPM was enhancing cyber-security measures, such as limiting the number of "privileged users" of computer data.

Archuleta, facing a chorus of demands from Congress for her ouster, said in a statement she had told President Barack Obama it was "best for me to step aside and allow new leadership to step in."

Beth Cobert, who works in the White House budget office, will become acting OPM director, the White House said.

Advertisement

The departure of Archuleta will not fix OPM's serious cyber-security weaknesses, which Obama administration officials conceded would take months, possibly years, to address.

Advertisement

Republicans in Congress accused the administration of being flat-footed on the growing problem of computer hacks. White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters it was conducting a "rapid assessment" of cyber-security measures with the aim of accelerating improvements.

The latest hacking revelation at OPM, revealed on Thursday, followed what the OPM called a "separate but related" computer incursion involving the theft of data on 4.2 million current and former federal workers.

Advertisement

(Also see:  Data Hacked From US Government Dates Back to 1985: Official)

Because many of the same people were affected by both hacks, the total comes to about 22.1 million people, or almost 7 percent of the US population, making the incidents among the most damaging cyber-security breaches ever.

Advertisement

Social Security numbers and other sensitive data, including possibly compromising secrets gathered for security clearances, were stolen from OPM computers in the sweeping intrusions.

The United States has identified China as the leading suspect, but China's Foreign Ministry has dismissed that as "absurd logic."

Archuleta's departure came a day after Republican House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner issued a statement saying that he had "no confidence" in OPM's current leadership.

On Friday, Boehner, citing chronic problems at the Veterans Administration that led to the resignation of Secretary Eric Shinseki last year, said a change in personnel did not always lead to real change and Obama had to "repair" the OPM problems.

Archuleta, a high-ranking official in Obama's 2012 re-election campaign, was appointed to the top OPM job in May 2013 and sworn in the following November, becoming the first Latina to head the federal agency.

The computer hacks at OPM, coupled with computer glitches this week that disrupted operations at both the New York Stock Exchange and United Airlines, have raised serious concerns in Congress about the security of major U.S. computer systems.

In a related matter, arrangements for granting security clearances to employees and contractors have been seriously affected since a computer system used to receive and process applications was turned off temporarily on June 29, government security sources said.

The digital system, called E-QIP, had been the main platform through which applicants submitted detailed information about their background on a questionnaire known as Standard Form 86. The system was shut down for security enhancements.

A source familiar with the process said there were now serious problems handling the flow of paper forms, and concern that digitising them could expose them to the risk of hacking.

A senior Obama Administration official acknowledged that the process had been "hindered" by the E-QIP shutdown but said the digital system would be restored in four to six weeks.

© Thomson Reuters 2015

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  5. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  6. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  7. Google Chrome Now Lets You Annotate PDFs, View Tabs in Split View
  8. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  9. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  1. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  3. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  5. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  6. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  7. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  8. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
  10. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games in March
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.