WeWork Sues SoftBank After $3-Billion Tender Offer Falls Through

WeWork said that SoftBank had breached its contractual obligations by abandoning the tender offer.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 8 April 2020 13:43 IST
Highlights
  • The We Company has sued SoftBank Group
  • It has challenged SoftBank's termination of a $3 billion tender offer
  • WeWork said SoftBank had breached its contractual obligations

WeWork has been hit very badly by the coronavirus outbreak

WeWork's owner, The We Company, has sued SoftBank Group, challenging its largest shareholder's decision to terminate a $3 billion (roughly Rs. 22,800 crores) tender offer for shares in the office-space sharing firm.

An independent two-member special committee of The We Company's board filed the lawsuit, saying that SoftBank had breached its contractual obligations by abandoning the tender offer.

"The Special Committee regrets the fact that SoftBank continues to put its own interests ahead of those of WeWork's minority stockholders," it said in the lawsuit filed in the Chancery Court of Delaware.

Advertisement

Last week, SoftBank said it terminated the proposed tender offer for additional WeWork shares, citing criminal and civil probes into the startup, its failure to restructure a joint venture in China and the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Advertisement

WeWork has been hit particularly hard by the outbreak, as its occupancy rates have plunged over the past month and its largest clients have been forced to vacate.

WeWork, however, has said it has enough cash and cash commitments to execute its five-year plan and manage the challenges posed by the coronavirus crisis.

Advertisement

In the lawsuit, which was widely expected after the tender offer fell through, the special committee called SoftBank's decision to terminate the tender offer "wrongful" and alleged that SoftBank had breached its obligations under the master transaction agreement (MTA).

"SoftBank's failure to consummate the tender offer is a clear breach of its contractual obligations under the MTA as well as a breach of SoftBank's fiduciary obligations to WeWork's minority stockholders, including hundreds of current and former employees," the special committee said.

Advertisement

The tender offer, which would have mostly benefited a select group of shareholders, including ousted co-founder Adam Neumann, had been agreed in October as part of a bailout plan by SoftBank after WeWork's IPO plans imploded.

Investors had been concerned about the company's losses, Neumann's leadership style and a business model that involves taking long-term leases and renting out spaces for a short term.

In October, WeWork had formed the two-member special committee to help negotiate a financing lifeline from SoftBank and its main lender JPMorgan Chase & Co.

The committee comprises Bruce Dunlevie, who is a general partner at WeWork shareholder Benchmark Capital, and Lew Frankfort, who is the former CEO of luxury handbag maker Coach.

In Tuesday's statement, the special committee called on SoftBank to complete the tender offer or pay alternative compensatory damages for "breaches of contract and fiduciary duty."

A SoftBank spokeswoman declined to comment.

© Thomson Reuters 2020

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: WeWork, SoftBank
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  2. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  3. Poco X8 Pro, X8 Pro Max Colour Options, Design Leaked Online
  1. Phil Spencer Retires as Microsoft Names AI Executive Asha Sharma as Gaming CEO in Xbox Shake-Up
  2. Astronomers Find ‘Impossible’ Galaxy ACDG-2 With Virtually No Stars and a Massive Dark Matter Core
  3. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  4. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  5. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  6. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  7. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  8. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  9. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  10. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.