HP India wins stay on Custom Department's $386 million order

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 12 June 2013 12:06 IST
US-based Hewlett-Packard's (HP) India unit has won a stay against Customs Department order asking the computer manufacturer to pay USD 386 million in alleged duty evasion.

The Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal (CESTAT) has stayed the Commissioner of Customs Bangalore's order against HP India Sales Private Ltd (HPI), HP said.

The case relates to an investigation by Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) in 2008, where the government agency had alleged that HPI had underpaid customs duties while importing products and spare parts into India.

In April last year, the Commissioner of Customs Bangalore had issued an order on the products show cause notice affirming certain duties and penalties against HPI and the named individuals of approximately USD 386 million.

Advertisement

When contacted, a HPI spokesperson said the firm does not agree with DRI's investigation as well as the commissioner's order.

Advertisement

"The orders passed on April 11, 2012 and April 20, 2012 by the Commissioner of Customs pertain to a DRI investigation which commenced in 2008. HP disagrees with the DRIs position and Commissioner's orders and has challenged the orders before CESTAT. The CESTAT has stayed the Commissioners orders until final disposal of the appeal," the spokesperson added.

In a regulatory filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission, HP said "In April and May 2010, the DRI had issued show cause notices to HPI), a subsidiary of HP, seven HP employees and one former HP employee alleging that HP underpaid customs duties while importing products and spare parts into India and seeking to recover an aggregate of approximately USD 370 million, plus penalties."

Advertisement

Prior to the issuance of the show cause notices, HP said it had deposited approximately USD 16 million with the DRI and agreed to post a provisional bond in exchange for the DRI's agreement to not seize HP products and spare parts and to not interrupt the transaction of business by HP in India.

So far, HP has deposited about USD 70 million with the authorities.

Advertisement

"On April 11, 2012, the Bangalore Commissioner of Customs issued an order on the products show cause notice affirming certain duties and penalties against HPI and the named individuals of approximately USD 386 million, of which HPI had already deposited USD 9 million.

"On December 11, 2012, HPI voluntarily deposited an additional USD 10 million in connection with the products show cause notice," the filing said.

It further added: "On April 20, 2012, the Commissioner issued an order on the parts show cause notice affirming certain duties and penalties against HPI and certain of the named individuals of approximately USD 17 million, of which HPI had already deposited USD 7 million.

"After the order, HPI deposited an additional USD 3 million in connection with the parts show cause notice so as to avoid certain penalties."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Hewlett Packard, hp
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  4. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  5. Oppo Find N6 Geekbench Listing Hints at New Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 5 Variant
  6. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  7. Best TWS Earphones Under Rs 30,000: AirPods Pro 3, Sony WF-1000XM5, More
  8. Xiaomi Civi 6 Could Launch in China Soon With Customisable AI Shortcut Key
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.