Qualcomm CEO Says Settlement Likely in Apple Dispute

Advertisement
By Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: 18 July 2017 12:59 IST
Highlights
  • Mollenkopf says out of court settlement possible with Apple
  • Qualcomm asked US authorities to ban imports of some iPhone, iPad models
  • It has also accused iPhones, iPads of infringing 6 of its mobile patents

Global chip maker Qualcomm that recently filed a new patent infringement lawsuit against Apple now expects 'out of court' settlement with the Cupertino-based iPhone maker.

According to a Fortune report on Tuesday, Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf said during the Brainstorm Tech conference in Aspen, Colorado, that "those things tend to get resolved out of court and there's no reason why I wouldn't expect that to be the case here."

Advertisement

He was comparing the dispute with Apple to earlier fights Qualcomm has had with other tech companies that were settled out of court.

Mollenkopf, however, added he didn't have any specific news announcing a settlement was on the way.

Advertisement

"I don't have an announcement or anything so please don't ask," he told the gathering.

Earlier in July, Qualcomm asked the US authorities to ban imports of some iPhone and iPad models.

Advertisement

Qualcomm filed a complaint with the US International Trade Commission, accusing Apple's iPhones and iPads of infringing six of its mobile patents.

Qualcomm said all iPhones and iPads that contain competing mobile communications chips should be barred from the country.

Advertisement

Apple responded to this, saying that the company had tried to negotiate before suing and that Qualcomm is abusing its position.

In April, Apple stopped paying royalties to contract manufacturers for phone patents owned by Qualcomm over an "unresolved issue".

Apple reportedly stopped paying royalties starting with devices sold during the March quarter.

Qualcomm is one of the world's biggest provider of mobile chips and derives revenue majorly from licensing that technology to hundreds of handset manufacturers and others.

The US chip manufacturer had lambasted Apple for breaching deals between the two companies and urged that the lawsuit filed in January against them by the iPhone maker should be rejected.

Qualcomm also accused Apple of harming its business and sought unspecified damages.

Apple sued Qualcomm in January for nearly one billion dollars over royalties, with the Cupertino-based tech giant alleging the wireless chipmaker that it did not give fair licensing terms for its processor technology.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Hide Your Number on WhatsApp: How to Set a Username for Better Privacy
  2. NASA Just Released One of the Most Detailed Maps of the Night Sky Ever
  1. NASA Just Released One of the Most Detailed Maps of the Night Sky Ever
  2. Bhagubai Out on OTT: Know How to Stream This Marathi Comedy Drama Film Online
  3. Mad For Each Other OTT Release: Where to Watch the Indian Relationship Reality Show Online
  4. Salbardi OTT Release: Where to Watch Pooja Sawant’s Marathi Crime Mystery Thriller Online
  5. Bhojpuri Bawaal OTT Release Date Reportedly Revealed Online: Know Everything About This Upcoming Reality Series
  6. Mysterious Stacked Rocks Spotted by NASA Perseverance Rover on Mars
  7. Meta Launches Forum App as a Reddit-Like Platform for Discussions With AI-Powered Assistant for Admins
  8. Xiaomi 17T Series Teased to Arrive in Two Display Variants; Colour Options Revealed Ahead of Debut
  9. Honor Magic 9 Series Could Feature 8,000mAh Batteries; Tipster Leaks Camera, Display Upgrades
  10. Google Might Sell Over 2 Million Android XR-Powered Smart Glasses This Year: Report
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.