Samsung Mobile Chief J.K. Shin Keeps Job in Reshuffle

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 1 December 2014 09:43 IST
Samsung said Monday the head of its faltering mobile business would keep his job despite an alarming decline in profits, as the electronics giant announced a year-end personnel reshuffle.

A number of leading executives were moved or promoted, but the three co-CEOs of Samsung Electronics all retained their posts, including J.K. Shin, components unit chief Kwon Oh-Hyun and the head of the consumer electronics division B.K. Yoon.

Shin's position had been seen as particularly vulnerable, as the mobile unit that was responsible for Samsung's extraordinary run of record profits in recent years was also behind the slump in the past two quarters.

Shin "made many contributions in making Samsung Electronics the world's top mobile handset maker", Samsung Group spokesman Lee June told reporters.

Advertisement

"We believe he would have a chance to help (Samsung) make another jump in this changing environment in the future," Lee said.

Advertisement

Shin, 58, has led Samsung Electronics' mobile unit since 2012 and played a key role in the South Korean giant's rise to become the world's top smartphone maker.

But the firm recently saw profits squeezed by escalating competition with Apple's iPhones in the high-end market and cheap handsets of Chinese rivals like Xiaomi in the low-end segment.

Advertisement

Samsung posted a 50-percent drop in third-quarter net profit, following a 20 percent drop in the previous quarter.

The net profit for the July-September period was the lowest for nearly three years.

Advertisement

Samsung produces a range of products from handsets to memory chips and TVs but the mobile business comprises the lion's share of its overall sales.

The family-run company is currently embarking on a major restructuring programme ahead of a generational ownership succession.

Last week it announced the $1.7 billion (roughly Rs. 10,580 crores) sale of stakes in four affiliates and a $2.0 billion (roughly Rs. 12,448 crores) share buyback.

Samsung's share price has tumbled more than 10 percent this year as growth in the key smartphone business begins to lose steam.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Samsung, Mobiles, Smartphones
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance Gets a Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.