Samsung submits proposal addressing EU concerns in Apple patent dispute

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 30 September 2013 16:14 IST
South Korea's Samsung has answered accusations by Brussels that the company abused its dominant market position by taking out unfair injunctions against rival Apple, the European Commission said on Friday.

In the drawn-out fight between the giants over the smartphone and tablet market, the Commission believes legal manoeuvres launched by Samsung would unfairly prevent Apple from access to crucial shared patents.

But Samsung has sought to remedy the problem, EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said in a speech in New York, without providing further details.

"I can announce that following a long discussion, Samsung has just formally submitted a set of commitments to address our concerns. We will soon launch a market test on these proposals," Almunia said.

In December, the Commission informed Samsung that its injunctions over Apple's access to Standard-Essential Patents (SEPS) were in violation of EU anti-trust rules.

The warning came after Brussels opened a probe early in 2012 following Samsung injunctions to ban the sale of products made by its competitors in several European countries, alleging that they were illegally using its patents.

But last year Samsung dropped a request to ban Apple products in Britain, France, Germany, Italy and The Netherlands though it proceeded with lawsuits. It was this latter aspect that had to be examined.

Apple and Samsung have filed lawsuits against each other in around a dozen countries for alleged patent violations over competing products, in particular the iPhone and Galaxy S smartphones, as well as tablet computers.

In the United States last week, a judge ordered a new trial to review damages tossed out in a landmark patent case involving Apple and Samsung.

The retrial became necessary after the judge cut some $450 million from a damage award of more than $1 billion to be paid by Samsung in a case in which the US firm accused its South Korean rival of copying technology from the iPhone and iPad.

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Take-Two Reaffirms GTA 6 Release Date, Says Game Was Delayed by 18 Months
  2. Moto G37, Moto G37 Power Launched in India With These Features
  3. Xiaomi 17T Series Retail Listing Reveals Pricing and Specifications
  1. Google IO 2026: Here’s Everything That Was Announced From Gemini 3.5 Flash to Gemini Omni
  2. Google I/O 2026: Google, Samsung Showcase Gemini-Powered Android XR Smart Glasses
  3. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Omni for AI Videos, Gemini 3.5 Series Models Unveiled
  4. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Spark Brings Agentic Experiences Across Google Docs, Slides and More Apps
  5. Massive Solar Storm Reveals How Mars Is Losing Its Atmosphere
  6. Samsung Galaxy S27 Series Tipped to Include New Pro Model; Galaxy S27 Ultra Said to Offer Hardware Upgrades
  7. Redmi Turbo 5 India Launch Timeline Leaked, Tipped to Retain Same Features as Chinese Variant
  8. Airtel Introduces Priority Postpaid With India's First 5G Network Slicing Starting at Rs. 449
  9. Echo Protocol Exploit Sees Hacker Mint Unauthorised eBTC Worth $76.7 Million
  10. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Price and Specifications Surface on Retail Listing Ahead of May 28 Launch
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.