Twitter Unblocks Accounts of Belarus 'Embassies' Suspended After Accusations of Identity Theft

"We took enforcement action on the accounts referenced in error," a Twitter spokesperson said.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 3 July 2021 11:31 IST
Highlights
  • Twitter has restored access to Belarusian exile opposition group accounts
  • The group earlier informed about the suspension of its Twitter accounts
  • Twitter has said it had reinstated access to the said accounts

Twitter suspended the accounts of a Belarus exile opposition group on Friday

Photo Credit: Pixabay

Twitter said on Friday it had reinstated access to the accounts of a group of exile opposition groups that call themselves the "Belarusian People's Embassies", which it suspended after they were accused of identity theft, apparently by Belarusian authorities.

"We took enforcement action on the accounts referenced in error," a Twitter spokesperson said. "This has been reversed, and access to the accounts have been reinstated."

The people's embassy movement sprang up after last year's presidential election, in which long-serving strongman Alexander Lukashenko claimed a resounding victory despite a widespread belief that the vote was fraudulent.

Advertisement

The resulting crackdown has seen hundreds thrown in prison, allegations that opposition activists were tortured, and spurred a lively exile movement in countries like Latvia, Lithuania and Germany where many Belarusians live.

Advertisement

The various groups, which assert that Svetlana Tikhanouskaya, now living in Lithuanian exile, won the election, and acknowledge her as Belarus's legitimate President, argue that their social media accounts are in effect 'embassies' of the Belarusian people, not Lukashenko's state.

"Even though the regime is illegitimate, we never claim to be an official embassy," the People's Embassy group in Germany said in a statement. "We represent the people, not the regime."

Advertisement

There was no proof that Belarusian authorities reported the three accounts, @BelarusinS, @BelarusInUK and @BelarusInDE, representing groups in Spain, Britain and Germany, all of which were listed as suspended on the Twitter platform on Friday afternoon, before access was reinstated.

But the group earlier sent journalists and activists a screenshot of an email from Twitter in which the platform said it had been "made aware that this account violates Twitter rules, in particular against identity theft."

Advertisement

Belarus has stepped up its activities against exiled activists, most recently taking the almost unprecedented step of forcing a Ryanair flight from Greece to Lithuania to land in order to arrest Roman Protasevich, an influential opposition journalist who was on board.

"Lukashenko's regime tries to silence everybody who dares to say the truth or to fight him" the opposition group said in a statement.

© Thomson Reuters 2021

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  4. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  8. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  9. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  10. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.