COAI Approaches Trai for Extension on Interconnect Usage Charge Comments

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 20 September 2016 18:12 IST

COAI, which had criticised the regulator's move to review the interconnection usage charge, has urged Trai to extend deadline for submission of comments on the contentious consultation paper by more than two months, citing operators' preoccupation with the upcoming auction.

"We have sought additional time of over two months' from the day spectrum auction concludes... this additional time will allow us to give a thorough and holistic response on the IUC paper," COAI Director General Rajan S Mathews told PTI.

The association has written to the regulator in this regard, he added.

Advertisement

Mathews said COAI has sought the extension as the same team within telecom companies (operators) which are going to be involved in the spectrum bidding will also be involved in the IUC paper.

Advertisement

"After the auction, the festive season will kick in and some people may be away... So, we are saying that given that the IUC issue is contentious and the fact that Reliance Jio has also entered the market, the mobile operators want more time for a thorough analysis before submitting their views," he said.

The telecom regulator Trai has already extended, by three weeks, the deadline for receiving industry's comments on the IUC discussion paper - thus pushing back the previous timeline for the review process.

Advertisement

Trai, which is in the midst of reviewing the interconnection usage charge (IUC) - paid by one telecom operator to another for connecting phone calls - had originally sought public comments on its discussion paper by September 5 and counter-comments by September 19.

Trai had then extended the deadline for submission of written comments to September 26 and for counter-comments to October 10.

Advertisement

The discussion paper had kicked up a storm, with incumbent operators under the aegis of the cellular association accusing the sectoral regulator of favouring new entrants with its policies.

The cellular body had earlier termed the regulator's consultation on call connect charges as "unfair" on incumbent operators and had alleged that Trai's discussion paper was an indicator of "bias creeping in".

COAI had also questioned the regulator's urgency in initiating the process of inter-connect review and had approached the Telecom Department to express its concern over the issue.

A mobile operator levies IUC for each incoming call it gets from subscriber of another network and the mobile to mobile termination charge is currently pegged at 14 paise per minute - these rates will undergo a relook as part of the IUC consultation process.

However, the top three operators - Bharti Airtel, Vodafone and Idea - which are engaged in a bitter inter-connect fight with the new entrant Reliance Jio, have been claiming that the real cost of termination is significantly higher than the current inter-connect settlement charge of 14 paise prescribed in the present IUC regime.

The incumbent players, in their tussle with the new entrant, have in fact claimed that they are incurring increasing costs due to high level of asymmetric traffic coming in from the Jio network.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  5. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  6. Hello Bachhon Set for OTT Release on Netflix: See Details
  7. Poco X8 Pro, X8 Pro Max Colour Options, Design Leaked Online
  8. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  1. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  2. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  3. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  4. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  5. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  7. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  9. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  10. Theatre: The Myth of Reality OTT Release: Where to Watch Kerala Film Critics Award-Winning Movie Online?
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.