Open to Giving Watchdog Punitive Powers for Call Drops: Prasad

Advertisement
By Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: 3 June 2016 18:06 IST
Communications Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on Friday said he has an open mind on empowering the telecom watchdog to impose penalties on operators for call drops and poor service quality, but will await a formal request.

"If the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) approaches us in a structured manner about the legal architecture we will consider it with an open mind," Prasad told IANS in an interview at his office in Sanchar Bhavan here.

He also made it clear that telecom operators could no longer hide behind the lack of spectrum, or infrastructure, as excuses for poor quality of service.

"I have cleared all the policies spectrum trading, sharing, harmonisation, liberalisation and sharing of infrastructure both active and passive. Therefore, spectrum scarcity is no more the issue. It is time for them to give the results," the minister said.

Advertisement

"I have taken note that they have installed 100,000 sites in the country over the last one year. But they need to do more," he added.

Advertisement

The minister's remarks come against the backdrop of the Supreme Court striking down the penalty on call drops proposed by the telecom watchdog, calling the move, as taken, to be ultra vires, arbitrary, unreasonable and non-transparent. It also found the action void of data or reason.

Earlier this week top officials at Trai had said the government must enable the regulator to impose penalties in a legally-tenable manner. "We're planning to write to the government on amendments in the Trai Act. We should be empowered to impose penalties," a Trai official said.

Advertisement

During the free-wheeling interview, the minister said it was in the interests of operators to give good service. "If they can provide mobile phone services all over the country, they also need to give good service," he said.

The minister said he has also referred complaints of "call masking" by operators to an expert team of the Department of Telecommunications. "I have told my department to look into this seriously on the technological front," Prasad said.

Advertisement

After a call is placed, it should get automatically disconnected when a user moves to an area with poor network area. This qualifies as a "call drop" under the existing norms laid down by the regulator.

But there have been complaints that operators have been using what is called radio-link technology, by which such calls remain artificially connected and continue to be billed till the user physically terminates it.

And when such a call is disconnected, it does not get registered as a dropped call.

The minister said the next round of spectrum auction will be conducted soon in a transparent manner. "Since all the policies on spectrum is in place, we are going to put the highest ever quantity of spectrum for auction," he said.

"More than 2,100 MHz. My job is only to create an enabling atmosphere in a transparent manner. Last time, it fetched Rs. 1.10 lakh crore. The days of scandal and corruption in Sanchar Bhawan is over."

It is expected that the next auction in the bands 700MHz, 800MHz, 900MHz, 1,800MHz, 2,100MHz, 2,300MHz and 2,500MHz will fetch government a whopping Rs. 560,000 crore, or $83 billion, payable over the tenure of the contract.

On the issue of net neutrality, the minister said the government was awaiting inputs from the watchdog. "My government is committed to non-discriminatory access for internet. Internet being one of the finest creations of human mind must be available for all, from global to local."

The minister said the government was also focussed on accelerating electronic manufacturing in the country. "Our IT exports have crossed $108 billion. I am satisfied of the modest success in the last two years, which will lead to extraordinary growth in the next three years."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Telecom, Call Drops, Trai
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  3. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.