Tesla Scrutinised by US Agency Over Model 3 Safety Claims

NHTSA lawyers took issue with a post that said Model 3 had achieved the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested.

Advertisement
By Dana Hull, Ryan Beene, Bloomberg | Updated: 7 August 2019 18:50 IST
Highlights
  • Tesla was sent a cease-and-desist letter last year
  • The letter was regarding the Model 3 safety claims
  • NHTSA issued a statement in October to highlight the issues

Tesla's deputy general counsel wrote in a reply letter that it respectfully disagreed with NHTSA

The National Highway Traffic Administration sent Tesla's Elon Musk a cease-and-desist letter last year regarding Model 3 safety claims and subpoenaed the carmaker for information on several crashes, according to documents posted by a nonprofit advocacy group.

NHTSA lawyers took issue with an October 7 Tesla blog post that said the Model 3 had achieved the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle the agency ever tested, the documents released Tuesday by the legal transparency group Plainsite show. The regulator said the claims were inconsistent with its advertising guidelines regarding crash ratings and that it would ask the Federal Trade Commission to investigate whether the statements were unfair or deceptive acts.

The documents, obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, also include orders for information that NHTSA sent to Tesla following several crashes, including a fatal March 1 crash involving a Model 3 operating on Autopilot. Tesla shares fell 0.5 percent in New York pre-market trading to $229.51 (roughly Rs. 16,300).

Advertisement

"If it's a subpoena, it's known to get quicker attention from the manufacturer generally, and it's not a routine matter," said Allan Kam, an independent auto-safety consultant who retired as a senior enforcement attorney at NHTSA in 2000. "It's dealt with in a more prompt way and in a more serious way."

Advertisement

Representatives for Tesla, NHTSA, and the FTC didn't immediately respond to requests for comment sent after normal business hours.

NHTSA issued a statement in October that took exception with Tesla's characterisation of the agency's safety ratings. The agency said its crash tests combine into an overall safety rating and that it doesn't rank vehicles that score the same ratings. NHTSA's guidelines for the use of its test results in advertising warn that using terms such as "safest" and "perfect" to describe a particular rating or an overall score are misleading.

Advertisement

NHTSA issued a similar statement in 2013, when Tesla said that its Model S achieved a vehicle safety score equated to 5.4 stars. The agency said then that it doesn't rate vehicles beyond 5 stars.

"This is not the first time that Tesla has disregarded the guidelines in a manner that may lead to consumer confusion and give Tesla an unfair market advantage," Jonathan Morrison, chief counsel at NHTSA, wrote in an October 17 letter addressed to Musk.

Advertisement

Al Prescott, Tesla's deputy general counsel, wrote in a reply letter that the company respectfully disagreed with NHTSA.

"Tesla has provided consumers with fair and objective information to compare the relative safety of vehicles having 5-star overall ratings," Prescott wrote in an October 31 letter.

An email exchange between Prescott and NHTSA's Jeffrey Quandt, who works in the agency's Office of Defects Investigation, also suggests the regulator has met quarterly with representatives for the electric-car maker.

A draft agenda for a March 27 meeting included an update on Autopilot performance and a review of a crash that took place that month in Delray Beach, Florida. In that incident, Autopilot was engaged when a Model 3 collided with a semi truck. The family of the deceased driver sued Tesla last week.

© 2019 Bloomberg LP

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Tesla Model 3, Model 3, Tesla, NHTSA, Elon Musk
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  4. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  5. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  6. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  2. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  3. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  4. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  5. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  6. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  7. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  8. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  9. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  10. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.