FIFA considers scrapping 3D coverage of World Cup

Advertisement
By Associated Press | Updated: 20 June 2013 10:32 IST
FIFA is considering scrapping 3-D broadcasts of the next World Cup, describing ESPN's decision to abandon the format as another setback for the technology.

The sports network said earlier this week that there weren't enough viewers in the United States to make 3-D broadcasts worth the investment, and ESPN's dedicated channel will close by the end of the year.

"We know that the technology has had a few setbacks in recent days, if you refer to some of the statements by (ESPN)," Niclas Ericson, FIFA's director of television, said Wednesday at a briefing during the Confederations Cup.

"It's clear when a big sports broadcaster like ESPN makes an announcement like that it creates a lot of extra tension (for the technology)," Ericson added.

The 2010 World Cup in South Africa was the first to be broadcast in 3-D, with 25 of the 64 matches screened in the format fueled, by what FIFA described at the time, as "rapidly growing consumer interest."

Advertisement

But demand for 3-D television sets doesn't appear to have taken off globally. Only an estimated 6 percent of TVs in the U.S. can show 3-D programming, according to the latest statistics.

FIFA has sent questionnaires to rights holders to assess their interest in 3-D coverage for its showpiece tournament in Brazil next year.

Advertisement

"We are still reviewing whether we should do 3-D for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the number of matches," Ericson said.

Ericson said there is interest from "several broadcasters" to retain 3-D feeds but he added that FIFA is still "reviewing the cost of it."

Advertisement

The cost and inconvenience for consumers appears to have limited the appeal of 3-D televisions.

Viewers must wear so-called active shutter glasses, which are battery-powered and work by stopping the image to each eye alternately at a high rate.

"Whether this (limited appeal for 3-D) is temporary and this will come back in a few years in a new way we don't know," Ericson said.

"We are spending most of our efforts (on high definition coverage) and that's most important for us," he added.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: 3D, 3D TVs, FIFA, home entertainment
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Jio Prime Membership Re-Launched in India With These Benefits
  2. Redmi Note 17 Series is All Set to Launch Globally on This Date
  3. Anthropic Reveals How Claude Will Watermark AI-Generated Text
  4. Epic Games Store Confirmed to Get Official Linux Support Soon
  5. Krafton Confirms BGMI Lite Is Coming to India by the End of 2026
  6. Poco, Oppo Raise Prices of These Smartphones in India: See New Prices
  7. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Design Leaked via Hands-on Video
  8. These Five Samsung Foldables Could Launch Next Year
  1. Claude Text Watermark Explained: How Anthropic Will Detect AI Content
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Leaked Hands-on Video Showcases Design
  3. Epic Games Store Confirmed to Get Official Linux Support Soon
  4. Israel’s Bits of Gold Suffers Data Breach Affecting 200,000 Customers
  5. BitMart Users Demand Answers Over Withdrawal Issues, Unpaid Salaries Ahead of August 19 Deadline
  6. Google Pixel 11 Ads Reportedly Reveal Mysterious Fitbit-Like Fitness Tracker
  7. Boltt Ace 5G, Evo 4G Battery, Display Details Teased Just Days Ahead of Launch
  8. Jio Prime Membership Relaunched in India: Tariff Certainty, Cashback Vouchers, and More Benefits
  9. Samsung Plans to Launch Five Foldable Phones Next Year, Including Galaxy Z TriFold 2, Galaxy Fold 9 Series: Report
  10. OnePlus 16 Could Offer Major Display Upgrade With BOE X4 Material and Slim Bezels
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.