Google did not make a bid for WhatsApp: Sundar Pichai

Advertisement
By NDTV Correspondent | Updated: 27 February 2014 14:17 IST

Facebook bought popular messaging app WhatsApp earlier this month in a deal that made quite a buzz given the ticket size that totalled 19 billion dollars in cash, stock and bonuses.

Amongst the various reports that emerged in the aftermath of the announcement, one, in particular, caught the eye. Google, it was said, had made a bid of its own for WhatsApp, a move that was reportedly turned down by WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum. It was also said that Google chief Larry Page himself met Koum days before the Facebook deal was confirmed, in a bid to make the Ukraine-born see the value in Google's proposition.

Another report suggested that the deal fell through not because of financial reasons, but because Google didn't offer Koum a seat at the board of directors, which Facebook did. Now, Google's Sundar Pichai was poured ice-cold water on all this speculation.

Senior Vice President at Google, Sundar Pichai reportedly said at the sidelines of the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona that while the search-giant had previously held talks with WhatsApp about working closely together, reports of a $10 billion acquisition bid were "simply untrue."

Advertisement

"Whatsapp was definitely an exciting product," Pichai said. "We never made an offer to acquire them. Press reports to the contrary are simply untrue."

The major players in the deal that did go through, Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and WhatsApp's Koum, were also at MWC this week. While some balked at the size of the deal, Zuckerberg believes it was a bargain.

Advertisement

"I actually think that by itself it's worth more than 19 billion," Zuckerberg told a gathering at MWC. "Even just independently, I think it's a good bet."

"By being a part of Facebook, it makes it so they can focus for the next five years or so purely on adding more people."

Advertisement

Meanwhile, WhatsApp CEO Koum announced plans to add voice calling to the messaging app that has over 465 million monthly active users.


MWC 2014 in pictures
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iPhone 18 Pro's A20 Pro SoC Could Be Built on TSMC's 2nm Process
  2. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Debuts With Dimensity 9500M Chip
  3. BGMI Lite Pre-Registrations for Android Users to Open on August 25
  4. Vivo T5 Pro 5G Becomes Significantly More Expensive in India
  5. Realme 17 Pro+ Display, Triple Rear Camera Details Surface Online
  6. Realme P4s 5G to Launch in India on August 26 With These Features
  7. iQOO Z11, Buds Key Specifications Confirmed Ahead of India Launch
  1. Google Says Gboard Rambler Switches to Offline Mode After Usage Limit: Report
  2. Maya Protocol Loses $11 Million in Pool Value After Exploit Drains Bitcoin and Other Assets
  3. Poco F9 Ultra Appears in Leaked Diagram; Tipped to Be More Expensive Than Earlier Anticipated
  4. Vivo T5 Pro 5G Gets Another Price Hike, Now Up to Rs. 30,000 More Expensive Than at Launch
  5. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 8 Ultra and More Get August 2026 Security Patch: Report
  6. iPhone 18 Pro’s A20 Pro Chip Could Be Apple’s First SoC Built on TSMC’s 2nm Process, Tipped to Deliver Major Performance Gains
  7. Apple May Add Camera Control Button to Future iPad, Patent Reveals
  8. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Spotted in Official Document With Seven Model Numbers
  9. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Launched With Dimensity 9500M Chip, 9,100mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
  10. Realme P4s 5G India Launch Date Announced; Key Specifications Revealed
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.