Tencent Rebrands WeChat Work App to WeCom Ahead of Trump Ban

Tencent, registered the WeCom trademark on August 19, according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 18 September 2020 17:32 IST
Highlights
  • US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is set to release regulations by Sunday
  • The WeCom mobile app has been gaining popularity in China
  • The app has gained little traction in the United States

Trump's announcement of the ban on transactions related to WeChat caused a spike in downloads of WeChat

Chinese tech giant Tencent has changed the name of its WeChat Work office collaboration app to WeCom, setting it up as a potential alternative to its messaging app WeChat ahead of a US ban.

Tencent, registered the WeCom trademark on August 19, according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Two Tencent sources said WeCom does not fall under the scope of a ban on WeChat-related transactions in the United States from September 20, one of a series of US measures cracking down on Chinese tech firms and apps that Washington says are threats to national security.

Tencent declined to comment.

WeChat is an all-in-one mobile app that combines messaging, social media, payment functions and other services. Its so-called super app is all but essential for daily life in China and boasts more than a billion users.

Advertisement

In the United States, WeChat is widely used by Chinese expats and others to communicate with friends and associates in China. It has an average of 19 million daily active users in the United States, according to analytics firm Apptopia.

After downloading WeCom, users can now link their WeChat account to it and add their WeChat contacts, a Reuters test showed. WeCom users can then message, create chat groups, and even receive virtual money from WeChat friends without their WeChat contacts having to download WeCom.

Advertisement

There was no indication that Tencent has actively promoted WeCom in the United States. There has also been no surge in downloads of WeCom in recent weeks, according to Sensor Tower.

WeCom workaround

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is set to release regulations by Sunday clarifying which WeChat transactions will be prohibited under President Donald Trump's executive order.

On Thursday, the US Justice Department said Ross did not plan to target persons or groups who only download or use WeChat to convey personal or business information.

Advertisement

Tencent staff in the United States have historically used WeChat Work to communicate with the company's headquarters in Shenzhen. Tencent has at least 250 US-based employees.

Trump's August 6 announcement of the ban on transactions related to WeChat caused a spike in downloads of WeChat and alternative apps by US residents. A group of WeChat users has also sued to block the ban.

The WeCom mobile app has been gaining popularity in China, where downloads in the first part of September rose 74 percent from about 690,000 during the first 16 days of August. Downloads were 158 percent higher than the same period a year ago.

But the app has gained little traction in the United States. New US installs so far in September stand at about 3,000, unchanged from the same period in August and up from 1,000 during the first part of September last year.

Nina Wei, a Chinese entrepreneur in Seattle, said she used WeCom mostly to connect with business contacts in China but hadn't used it much recently as a number of projects had fallen apart amid deteriorating Sino-US relations.

She was unaware that WeCom was a potential workaround.

"I haven't connected my WeCom to my WeChat yet as I was hoping to keep my work life and private life separate."

© Thomson Reuters 2020


Is Android One holding back Nokia smartphones in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Bitcoin Nears $70,000 as Treasury Move and Liquidity Boost
  2. iQOO Buds With Up to 50 Hours Battery Life Debut in India at This Price
  3. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  4. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  5. iPhone 18 Pro Case Leak Hints at No Major Design Changes
  1. iQOO TWS 5e Launched With 35dB ANC, Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life: Price, Features
  2. iPhone 18 Pro May Look Nearly Identical to iPhone 17 Pro, New Leak Claims
  3. iQOO Buds Launched in India With Up to 50 Hours Battery Life, AI Call Noise Reduction: Price, Features
  4. CMF Buds Neo With 35dB ANC, Up to 52 Hour of Battery Launched in India: Price, Features
  5. Bitcoin Surges Towards $70,000 as Liquidity Boost and Short Squeeze Lift Crypto
  6. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With Dimensity 7500 Turbo Chip, 7,050mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
  7. New GTA 6 Gameplay Leaks Emerge as Group Threatens to Release More Videos
  8. Claude Can Now Take Greater Control Over Gmail, Google Drive With Updated Google Workspace Connectors
  9. iPhone 18 Series Launch Countdown Begins: This Is When Apple Can Announce September Event
  10. Google Brings New Account Photo Design to AI and Google One Subscribers
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.