WannaCry Ransomware: US Publicly Blames North Korea for Cyber-Attack

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 19 December 2017 10:24 IST

The Trump administration has publicly blamed North Korea for unleashing the so-called WannaCry cyber-attack that crippled hospitals, banks and other companies across the globe earlier this year.

"The attack was widespread and cost billions, and North Korea is directly responsible," Tom Bossert, homeland security adviser to President Donald Trump, wrote in a piece published on Monday night in the Wall Street Journal.

"North Korea has acted especially badly, largely unchecked, for more than a decade, and its malicious behavior is growing more egregious," Bossert wrote. "WannaCry was indiscriminately reckless."

Advertisement

The White House was expected to follow up on Tuesday with a more formal statement blaming Pyongyang, according to a senior administration official.

Advertisement

The US government has assessed with a "very high level of confidence" that a hacking entity known as Lazarus Group, which works on behalf of the North Korean government, carried out the WannaCry attack, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details of the government's investigation.

Lazarus Group is widely believed by security researchers and US officials to have been responsible for the 2014 hack of Sony Pictures Entertainment that destroyed files, leaked corporate communications online and led to the departure of several top studio executives.

Advertisement

North Korean government representatives could not be immediately reached for comment. The country has repeatedly denied responsibility for WannaCry and called other allegations about cyber-attacks a smear campaign.

Washington's public condemnation does not include any indictments or name specific individuals, the administration official said, adding the shaming was designed to hold Pyongyang accountable for its actions and "erode and undercut their ability to launch attacks."

Advertisement

The accusation comes as worries mount about North Korea's hacking capabilities and its nuclear weapons program.

'Pattern of misbehaving'
Many security researchers, including the cyber-firm Symantec, as well as the British government, have already concluded that North Korea was likely behind the WannaCry attack, which quickly unfurled across the globe in May to infect more than 300,000 computers in 150 countries.

Considered unprecedented in scale at the time, WannaCry knocked British hospitals offline, forcing thousands of patients to reschedule appointments and disrupted infrastructure and businesses around the world.

The attack originally looked like a ransomware campaign, where hackers encrypt a targeted computer and demand payment to recover files. Some experts later concluded the ransom threat may have been a distraction intended to disguise a more destructive intent.

FedEx's computer networks were among the most heavily hit. The international shipper said in September it expected to sustain a $300 million (roughly Rs. 1,925 crores) profit hit as a result of the attack.

Some researchers have said they believed WannaCry was deployed accidentally by North Korea as hackers were developing the code. The senior administration official declined to comment about whether US intelligence was able to discern if the attack was deliberate.

"What we see is a continued pattern of North Korea misbehaving, whether destructive cyber attacks, hacking for financial gain, or targeting infrastructure around the globe," the official said.

WannaCry was made possible by a flaw in Microsoft's Windows software, which was discovered by the US National Security Agency and then used by the NSA to build a hacking tool for its own use.

In a devastating NSA security breach, that hacking tool and others were published online by the Shadow Brokers, a mysterious group that regularly posts cryptic taunts toward the US government.

The fact that WannaCry was made possible by the NSA led to sharp criticism from Microsoft President Brad Smith and others who believe the NSA should disclose vulnerabilities it finds so that they can be fixed, rather than hoarding that knowledge to carry out attacks.

Smith said WannaCry provided "yet another example of why the stockpiling of vulnerabilities by governments is such a problem."

US officials have pushed back on those assertions, saying the administration discloses most computer flaws that government agencies detect.

Last month, the White House published its rules for deciding whether to disclose cyber-security flaws or keep them secret as part of an effort to be more transparent about the inter-agency process involved in weighing disclosure.

© Thomson Reuters 2017

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  2. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  3. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Redmi A7 Bags Thailand's NBTC Certification, Could Launch Soon
  6. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  7. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  8. Poco X8 Pro, X8 Pro Max Colour Options, Design Leaked Online
  9. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  1. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  2. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  3. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  4. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  5. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  7. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  9. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  10. Theatre: The Myth of Reality OTT Release: Where to Watch Kerala Film Critics Award-Winning Movie Online?
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.