Bangladesh Police Launch Bank Heist Probe

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 18 March 2016 15:21 IST
Bangladesh police launched a criminal investigation on Thursday into the cyber theft of $81 million (roughly Rs. 540 crores) from the central bank's US account but said it was too early to pinpoint any suspects.

The money was transferred to accounts in the Philippines, and a Senate hearing there was told that nearly half a million dollars was skimmed off and packed into a bank branch manager's car. The bulk went to two casinos and an individual who is believed to be a junket operator.

The heist took place between February 4 and February 5, when unknown hackers breached the computer systems of Bangladesh Bank and attempted to steal $951 million (roughly Rs. 6,332 crores) from its account at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which it uses for international settlements.

The other transfers were blocked, but $81 million went to accounts in a Manila branch of the Rizal Commercial Banking Corp (RCBC), and was quickly further transferred.

Advertisement

Romualdo S. Agarrado, a reserve officer of RCBC who was at the branch at the time, told the hearing that a withdrawal slip for PHP 20 million ($432,000 or roughly Rs. 2.9 crores) from one of the accounts was made out by the manager Maia Santos Deguito herself and cashed.

Advertisement

Agarrado cited her as saying at the time: "I would rather do this than me being killed or my family."

(Also see:  Hackers Tried to Steal $951 Million)

In Dhaka, a central bank spokesman said a police team visited the bank on Thursday to understand the workings of the accounts and budget department and the computer system as they launched their probe.

Advertisement

"We have just started our investigation. It is a bit early to name suspects," a police official said.

The cyber thieves hid their tracks by installing malware that manipulated a central bank printer to hide evidence of the heist, according to a person familiar with an investigation by cyber security experts.

Advertisement

However, the investigators have so far found no evidence of inside involvement in the hacking of the bank's computers, the source said.

Earlier, central bank officials filed a police report that said that a computer and printer the bank used to order SWIFT wire transfers were manipulated so that authorities could not see records of outgoing wire transfer requests or receipts confirming that they had been received.

Details about the issues with the computer and printer were among the first clues to surface as to how the attack was carried out.

A representative from Brussels-based SWIFT, a bank-owned cooperative that runs a secure private messaging system widely used for requesting money transfers, declined comment on Wednesday.

Manager says made scapegoat
In the Philippines, officials have told the Senate committee that the $81 million was wired to four fictitious accounts at RCBC, most of it was subsequently consolidated into one account and was then sent on to a foreign exchange broker called Philrem Service Corp.

From Philrem, more than $30 million (roughly Rs. 200 crores) was delivered in cash to an ethnic Chinese man who some witnesses said they believed is a casino junket operator in Manila, although regulatory officials told Reuters they had not previously heard of him.

A further $50 million (roughly Rs. 333 crores) was split between a casino resort and a gaming firm in the Philippines, officials said.

(Also see:  'Part of $100 Million Hacked From Bangladesh Bank Recovered')

Thursday's hearing focused on the branch manager, who for the most part declined to answer questions from the senators except in camera.

"The 20 million pesos was placed in the car of Ms. Deguito and she drove off with it," RCBC attorney Maria Celia Fernandez-Estavillo told the hearing, referring to details of an affidavit from Agarrado, the reserve officer.

In an interview with a local TV channel before the hearing, Deguito denied any wrongdoing and said she was being used as a scapegoat.

The Anti-Money Laundering Council of the Philippines said complaints have been made against the manager of the RCBC branch and the holders of fictitious accounts into which the money was originally deposited at the branch.

© Thomson Reuters 2016

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.