Elon Musk Claims Twitter Ordered Former Security Chief to Destroy Evidence as Part of Severance Package

Twitter’s former security chief said he burned 10 notebooks and deleted 100 computer files at the behest of company managers, according to court filings.

Advertisement
By Jef Feeley, Bloomberg | Updated: 11 October 2022 10:21 IST
Highlights
  • Twitter has said it fired Zatko in January for poor performance
  • Zatko says he warned Twitter CEO about serious privacy concerns
  • Musk’s lawyers accused Twitter of ordering Zatko to destroy his documents

Elon Musk revived his proposal to take over Twitter last week

Photo Credit: Reuters

Just before Elon Musk revived his proposal to buy Twitter last week, the billionaire accused the company of ordering a whistle-blower to destroy evidence of its missteps as part of a $7.8 million (roughly Rs. 64 crore) severance package. Peiter Zatko, Twitter's ex-head of security, said he burned 10 handwritten notebooks and deleted 100 computer files at the behest of company managers as part of his separation agreement, according to October 3 court filings that were unsealed Monday. The books contained notes of the whistle-blower's meetings with company counterparts during his year-long tenure as security chief, the filings show.

Zatko has been at the centre of Musk's arguments that Twitter misled him about a raft of operational problems at the social media platform — which justified walking away from the $44 billion (roughly 3.6 lakh crore) buyout. The billionaire then reversed course last week and agreed to buy the company for the original $54.20 (roughly Rs. 4,500)-per-share price.

“Twitter's attempt to buy Mr Zatko's silence failed, but Twitter achieved its secondary aim of ensuring Mr Zatko's corroborating evidence would never come to light,” Musk's lawyers said in the unsealed filing.

Advertisement

Twitter didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on the filing, which is part of the Twitter lawsuit to force Musk to consummate the buyout that has since been paused.

Advertisement

Delaware Chancery Judge Kathaleen St J McCormick put the case on hold and set an October 28 deadline for Musk and Twitter to complete the deal. Musk's lawyers are asking McCormick to sanction Twitter's attorneys for ordering the destruction of potential evidence in the case.

Zatko created a stir in Washington when he testified to the Senate Judiciary Committee last month that Twitter's lax approach to computer security threatened US national security.

Advertisement

Twitter has said it fired Zatko in January for poor performance and said he gave “a false narrative about Twitter and our privacy and data security practices that is riddled with inconsistencies and inaccuracies and lacks important context.”

Zatko contends he warned Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal about serious computer security issues and privacy concerns tied to the social media platform's operations that amounted to violations of settlements the company reached with government regulators. He also said his Twitter colleagues showed little interest in doing a deep dive into the issue of how many spam and robot accounts were included among the company's more than 230 million users.

Advertisement

Musk's lawyers accused Twitter's top two lawyers, Vijaya Gadde and Sean Edgett, and Chief Privacy Officer Damien Kieran, along with Agrawal, of seeking to cover up the violations of the legal settlements by ordering Zatko to destroy his documents.

The document-destruction order deprived Musk's legal team of “critical corroborating evidence of Mr Zatko's allegations, which would support his account of key meetings and conversations relevant to this case,” according to the unsealed filing.

Meanwhile, Twitter complained in its own unsealed filing that Jared Birchall — Musk's top aide — showed up to his September 21 pre-trial deposition in the case unprepared to answer questions about a host of issues related to the transaction.

“Throughout the deposition, Birchall unequivocally conceded both his lack of knowledge and his lack of preparation — on topic after topic,” Twitter's legal team said in the filing. Birchall runs Musk's family office and was deeply involved in the negotiations over the buyout of the social media platform.

Twitter's lawyers said Birchall had little or no information about his communications with government regulators about the deal, the hiring of data scientists to review the number of spam or robot accounts embedded in Twitter's customer base or the Musk side's efforts to retrieve relevant messages about the transaction.

A spokesman for Musk's lawyers didn't immediately respond Monday to a request for comment about Twitter's complaints about Birchall's deposition performance.

© 2022 Bloomberg L.P.


5G is here. Should you buy a 4G phone? We discuss this on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Twitter, Elon Musk, Elon Musk Twitter
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  2. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  3. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. Google Reveals When You Can Expect Android 17 to Arrive on Your Pixel Phone
  5. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  6. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  7. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  1. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  2. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  3. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  4. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  6. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  9. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  10. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.