Google EU Antitrust Case to Be Completed in Next Few Months

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 22 May 2017 18:26 IST
Highlights
  • EU competition enforcer opened a second front against Google last year
  • Third charge was levelled on blocking rivals in online search advertising
  • Google has in the past rejected the accusations

EU antitrust regulators will rule in the "next few months" whether Alphabet's Google abused its dominance of Internet searches and other areas, a senior European Commission official said on Monday, an outcome that could lead to a hefty fine.

The world's most popular Internet search engine has been in the Commission's crosshairs since 2010 over the promotion of its own shopping service in Internet searches at the expense of the services of rivals.

The EU competition enforcer opened a second front against Google last year as it charged the company with using its dominant Android mobile operating system to squeeze out rivals.

It has since levelled a third charge, that of blocking rivals in online search advertising. This relates to Google's "AdSense for Search" platform, in which Google acts as an intermediary for websites such as online retailers, telecom operators or newspapers. These searches produce results that include search ads.

Advertisement

"In the next few months, we will reach a decision on the Google cases, Google search, AdSense and to me the most interesting is Android," Tommaso Valletti, the Commission's chief competition economist, told a conference organised by the University of Oxford Centre for Competition Law and Policy.

The Commission has already warned Google that it would be fined if found guilty of breaching EU antitrust rules. Sanctions could reach 10 percent of annual global turnover for each case.

Advertisement

Alphabet made consolidated revenues of around $90 billion in 2016.

Google has in the past rejected the accusations, saying that its innovations had increased choice for European consumers and promoted competition.

Advertisement

It made three unsuccessful attempts to settle the internet search case without any finding of wrongdoing and sanctions with European Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager's predecessor, Joaquin Almunia.

© Thomson Reuters 2017

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Here's When the Lava Bold N4 Lite Will Launch in India
  2. Moto G Max Goes on Sale in India: Check Price, Offers
  3. Sony Reportedly Rebooting Horizon Hunters Gathering After Poor Feedback
  4. iQOO Buds Review: Budget TWS With Not-So-Budget Sound
  5. 7 ColorOS 16 Features You'll Wish Every Smartphone Had
  6. CMF Buds Neo With 35dB ANC, Up to 52 Hour of Battery Launched in India
  7. Here's How Much the Vivo Y31T 5G Could Cost in India
  1. Vivo V2607 Geekbench Listing Reveals Key Details: What You Need to Know
  2. Elon Musk’s X Considers Stablecoin-Based Payments for Influencers and Content Providers
  3. Sony's Live Service Co-Op Game Horizon Hunters Gathering Reportedly Being Rebooted After Poor Player Feedback
  4. BitGo Becomes First Global Crypto Firm to Secure South Korea VASP Licence
  5. Huawei Pura X View Pre-Orders Begin; Confirmed to Feature Wide-Screen 16:9.5 Display, 7,000mAh Battery
  6. iQOO Gaming Tablet Tipped to Get Active Cooling, Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 Pro SoC
  7. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  8. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  9. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  10. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.