Google, Facebook, WhatsApp Asked by Supreme Court to Give Inputs on Objectionable Content Complaints

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 5 September 2017 10:06 IST
Highlights
  • SC asked Internet majors about complaints against objectionable content
  • They include Google, Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Yahoo, and Microsoft
  • Complaints include those against child porn, rapes, and gangrapes

Internet majors like Google, Yahoo and Facebook and instant messaging application WhatsApp were on Monday directed by the Supreme Court to furnish details of complaints they have received in India about the uploading of objectionable contents on child pornography, rape and gangrape.

The apex court asked them to provide such details they received last year and this year till August 31 and also about the action taken by them on such complaints.

A bench comprising Justices Madan B Lokur and U U Lalit directed the Ministry of Home Affiars (MHA) to apprise it about the number of prosecution under the provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) 2012, during this period.

"We would like the participating companies Google, Google India, Yahoo, Microsoft, Facebook and WhatsApp to place affidavits regarding number of complaints they have received from India about the objectionable contents concerning child pornography, rape and gangrape for the year and till August 31 and the action that has been taken on it," the bench said.

Advertisement

The court was hearing a letter sent to then Chief Justice of India H L Dattu by Hyderabad-based NGO Prajwala, along with two rape videos in a pen drive.

The top court had on its own taken cognisance of the letter about posting of these videos on WhatsApp and asked CBI to launch a probe to apprehend the culprits.

Advertisement

During the hearing Monday, the bench was informed by the committee, comprising representatives from the Centre and the internet majors which was constituted to explore technical solutions to block videos of sexual offences on social sites, that these companies had some objection to its report being placed in the public domain.

Chairperson of the committee told the court that these participating companies have raised some objections, after which the lawyers representing the internet firms said they should be given the copy of the panel's report which has been filed in the court in a sealed cover. He said there were several aspects on which no consensus was arrived at during the deliberations by the committee.

Advertisement

Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing for one of the companies, said they would come to know about the contents of the committee's report only when they were provided with its copy. Sibal also argued that they wanted to know what were the recommendations which the committee wanted to place in public domain.

To this, the apex court directed that the proposals and recommendations contained in the report be supplied to the lawyers representing the participating companies.

The bench directed that the proposals and recommendations be supplied to the lawyers in a sealed cover within three days and posted the matter for hearing on September 18. The court also asked the MHA to file its affidavit in two weeks.

The counsel for the petitioner alleged that this matter was getting delayed and the problem was the manner in which these companies were responding.

On the issue of confidentiality of the report, the lawyer said if the court feels, proceedings could be held in-camera. The apex court had earlier observed that the comittee would hold discussions and meetings to arrive at a consensus on the possibility of ensuring that such objectionable videos pertaining to child pornography, gang rape and rape were not made available on the internet.

Earlier, cyber-security officials, who function under the CBI, had told the bench that Internet was a "wild highway" and blocking objectionable content at the source was a technical challenge for which clear guidelines needed to be issued to stop circulation of such material.

The Centre had informed the court that it would set up a specialised agency to block and curb the sharing of sexual offence videos on social networking platforms.

The NGO's letter had also mooted the idea of maintaining a national sex offenders' register which should contain details of persons convicted for offences like eve-teasing, stalking, molestation and other sexual assaults.

The NGO had also suggested that MHA should have a tie-up with YouTube and WhatsApp to ensure that such offensive videos are not uploaded and the culprits punished.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iQOO Z11 Review
  2. iQOO Buds Review: Budget TWS With Not-So-Budget Sound
  3. Asus VM240 AiO All-in-One Desktop PC Debuts Alongside New Gaming Accessories 
  4. 7 ColorOS 16 Features You'll Wish Every Smartphone Had
  5. Moto G Max Goes on Sale in India: Check Price, Offers
  6. Here's When the Lava Bold N4 Lite Will Launch in India
  7. Infinix Hot 70 Pro India Launch Timeline Announced; Colourways Teased
  8. Here's How Much the Vivo Y31T 5G Could Cost in India
  9. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  10. OnePlus Could Exclusively Launch Another 4G Phone in India Next Month
  1. Vivo V2607 Geekbench Listing Reveals Key Details: What You Need to Know
  2. Elon Musk’s X Considers Stablecoin-Based Payments for Influencers and Content Providers
  3. Sony's Live Service Co-Op Game Horizon Hunters Gathering Reportedly Being Rebooted After Poor Player Feedback
  4. BitGo Becomes First Global Crypto Firm to Secure South Korea VASP Licence
  5. Huawei Pura X View Pre-Orders Begin; Confirmed to Feature Wide-Screen 16:9.5 Display, 7,000mAh Battery
  6. iQOO Gaming Tablet Tipped to Get Active Cooling, Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 Pro SoC
  7. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  8. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  9. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  10. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.