French Group Launches Class Action Against Google Over Data Privacy

Google has already suffered two blows in France this year.

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 26 June 2019 18:26 IST

A French consumer rights group said Wednesday that it has launched a class action lawsuit against US tech giant Google for violating the EU's strict data privacy laws.

The UFC-Que Choisir group said in a statement that the goal of its class action is to "end the insidious exploitation of users' personal data, particularly those using Android devices with a Google account, and compensate them for up to EUR 1,000 ($1,135)".

"This compensation claim is a first in France as well as Europe," UFC-Que Choisir president Alain Bazot told AFP. 

Advertisement

"If the judge rules in favour, there are potentially 28 million Android users in France that could be entitled to compensation," he added. 

Advertisement

So far 200 people have joined the class action, said Bazot.

Google said it had not yet received details concerning the case and declined to comment for time being. 

Advertisement

The class action comes after the internet behemoth suffered two recent blows in France.

In January, France's CNIL data watchdog slapped Google with a record EUR 50 million fine for failing to meet the EU's tough General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which came into force in May last year. 

Advertisement

Then in February, the Paris district level court ordered Google to remove "abusive" clauses from the service conditions it requires consumers to accept.

'Invasion of privacy'
UFC-Que Choisir on Wednesday accused Google of "drowning consumers in endless confidentiality rules" and "maintaining a veritable obstacle course" when it comes to users' geolocation.

"It's a real invasion of privacy," said Bazot, adding that "even when you do not use Google's services, your phone geolocates you 340 times a day!"

The consumer group said it had tried to reach an amicable agreement but had been unsuccessful, so launched the class action suit in Paris against Google Ireland, the internet giant's European hub, and Google LLC.

Bazot did not expect a quick outcome, saying the procedure could take seven to eight years, or more.

Another non-governmental organisation that defends the rights of internet users has also signalled it plans to file a lawsuit against Facebook.

The choice of going through the courts, as opposed to making a complaint to the CNIL watchdog, means that the case remains in France. 

CNIL refers certain cases to the regulator in the EU country where the company is registered in the bloc.

Bazot said pursuing class action lawsuits also means potentially larger fines that would be dissuasive for massive internet firms, calling the EUR 50 million CNIL fine no more than a "mosquito bite" for Google.

Google's parent company Alphabet earned a first-quarter net profit of $6.7 billion (EUR 5.9 billion) on revenue of $36.3 billion.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Google, France, EU
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  4. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  7. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  8. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  9. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date, Design, Colourways, Key Features Revealed
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.