Google's antitrust deal with EU faces opposition

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 14 February 2014 17:49 IST
A third of the members of the European Commission opposed the EU's decision to strike a deal with Google and end a three-year antitrust investigation, officials said, underlining the political sensitivity of the decision.

While the opposition of nine commissioners is not enough to block the agreement struck by Joaquin Almunia, the competition commissioner, it is rare for such strong opposition to be voiced and it will fuel the frustration of Google competitors such as Microsoft.

The commissioners made their opposition clear during the Commission's weekly meeting on Wednesday, Energy Commissioner Gunther Oettinger told reporters. They will take a definitive vote on the issue in the coming months.

Internal Market Commissioner Michel Barnier echoed Oettinger's comments.

"We had a very long debate which shows that there are a lot of concerns and questions," Barnier said. "We haven't finished our work on this subject."

Advertisement

After months of negotiation, Almunia last week said he would accept Google's proposal to display rival links on Internet search results more prominently, calling them significant concessions which had allayed competition concerns.

The deal means Google avoids a fine of up to $5 billion.

Advertisement

As well as being frustrated by Almunia's decision, complainants such Microsoft, German online mapping service Hotmaps and British price comparison site Foundem are upset that they are not being further consulted on the remedies.

A Commission official said the discussion over Google was intense and lasted for four hours.

Advertisement

"Almunia explained in a detailed way why Google's proposals address our concerns and what the next steps will be," Almunia's spokesman, Antoine Colombani, said in an email.

EU telecoms chief and Almunia's predecessor, Neelie Kroes, is "very happy" with the deal, her spokesman Ryan Heath said.

Almunia will formally seek approval from his peers on the Google deal in the coming months. The EU executive typically decides by consensus or by a simple majority vote.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iQOO Z11 Review
  2. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  3. CMF Buds Neo With 35dB ANC, Up to 52 Hour of Battery Launched in India
  4. New GTA 6 Gameplay Leaks Emerge as Group Threatens to Release More Videos
  5. iPhone 18 Pro Case Leak Hints at No Major Design Changes
  6. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  7. OnePlus Could Exclusively Launch Another 4G Phone in India Next Month
  8. Qualcomm Teases Arrival of Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips
  1. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  2. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  3. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  4. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
  5. Google Photos Could Soon Add a Map View to Ask Photos Search Results, Feature Spotted in APK Teardown
  6. Infinix Hot 70 Pro 5G India Launch Confirmed for September, Design and Colours Revealed
  7. Vivo Y31T 5G Price in India Tipped Days After Firm Revealed Full Specifications List Ahead of Launch
  8. Moto G Max With Snapdragon 6s Gen 4 Chip, 7,000mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: Price, Offers
  9. Asus VM240 AiO All-in-One Desktop PC Launched in India With 24-Inch Display, New Gaming Accessories Tag Along
  10. iQOO 16, iQOO Neo 12 Tipped to Get Major Display Upgrades With Up to 185Hz Refresh Rate
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.