Europe receives complaint about Google's Android

Advertisement
By James Kanter, The New York Times | Updated: 9 April 2013 09:40 IST
European antitrust regulators have received a formal complaint about Google's Android operating system for mobile devices, even as they move to the final stages of their inquiry into the company's search practices.

The complaint was filed by Fairsearch Europe, a group of Google's competitors, including the mobile phone maker Nokia and the software titan Microsoft, and by other companies, like Oracle. It accuses Google of using the Android software "as a deceptive way to build advantages for key Google apps in 70 percent of the smartphones shipped today," said Thomas Vinje, the lead lawyer for Fairsearch Europe, referring to Android's share of the smartphone market.

For example, phone makers that agree to use Android and that also want Google applications like YouTube face contractual requirements to place those applications and other Google-branded applications in prominent positions on the mobile device's desktop, Vinje said.

In an interview Monday, the European Union's antitrust chief, Joaquin Almunia, declined to comment on the new complaint but said officials had been examining the Android operating system independently of the two-year inquiry into whether Google had abused its dominance of Internet search.

Advertisement

When a formal complaint like this is made, the commission must at some point decide whether to take up the case or drop it.

Advertisement

Almunia also said that he was receiving proposals this week from Google to clear up concerns about its search practices, and that he hoped they would make it easier for Internet users to identify when Google was promoting its own services rather than those of competitors who might offer better results.

"This is a new step in the investigation," he said.

Advertisement

A Google spokesman, Al Verney, would not specifically discuss either the new complaint or the comments by Almunia about the search case, saying only that the company continued "to work cooperatively" with the commission.

The European Commission opened its antitrust inquiry into Google's search practices in November 2010. The investigation has since focused on whether Google might have unfairly taken advantage of its market dominance by giving preference to links to its own services, like Google Maps, when answering queries; whether Google disadvantaged competitors by including material in search results that came from other websites; and whether Google conducts its advertising business in accord with European antitrust law.

Advertisement

Last May the commission suggested that Google propose changes in how search results are presented as a way to settle the case. Since then, regulators and Google have been negotiating over those changes and other terms.

In Monday's interview, Almunia said Google needed to offer the commission a solution where choices between Google-branded search results and those of its competitors were clearly visible within the search engine both on desktop computers and on mobile devices.

"I don't know if you should call it labeling, or whatever, but they need to distinguish," Almunia said.

"In some cases this can be achieved through the information you will receive through the natural search results," he said. "In other cases, maybe we will ask Google to signal what are the relevant options, alternative options, in the way they present the results."

The choice "should be a real one," he said.

Almunia said regulators were not requiring Google to make changes to its algorithm, the secret formula that the company uses to determine the best responses to search queries.

In terms of the way Google uses and displays snippets of information from other websites in its search results, he said he expected Google to accept that other companies can choose "to allow or not to allow Google to use the content, but this decision cannot have as a consequence the punishment of those who will not allow the use of the content in terms of search results."

Websites and some publications have complained in recent years of virtually disappearing from Google's search engine if they posed a competitive threat or did not comply with Google's terms.

Almunia said he would test any changes that Google proposes to make by sending questionnaires to competitors, including to the complainants, and to other companies.

Almunia said in Europe, where Google is especially strong, with more than 90 percent of the search market, compared with about 70 percent in the United States, it is particularly difficult for search engines to establish themselves if they focus on narrow but deep services like online shopping, travel or mapping.

But Almunia also said his approach in the case was not aimed at "protecting competitors," as critics of European regulation have long complained.

Almunia said that he had concerns that Google had abused its dominance to promote its own products but that he would not need to "find a final answer to this question" if Google reached a settlement. "We are concerned by the possibility of an abuse," he said.

"What is clear in our view is the market dominance of Google," Almunia said. "This is obvious."

He also noted that "it would not be surprising" if Google faced formal charges in a case concerning Motorola Mobility, a mobile phone maker owned by Google. That case follows complaints by Microsoft and Apple that they were victims of unfair licensing conditions and abusive litigation by Motorola Mobility.

The commission has taken a tougher line with Google than has the Federal Trade Commission on the issue of how Google runs its search rankings. The FTC decided in January that Google had not broken antitrust laws after a 19-month inquiry into how the company operated its search engine.

© 2013, The New York Times News Service

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  4. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  6. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  7. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  8. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  9. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date, Design, Colourways, Key Features Revealed
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.