Google Announces Android Stagefright Security Update for Nexus Devices

Advertisement
By NDTV Correspondent | Updated: 6 August 2015 12:59 IST

Google will be rolling out a security update for the Stagefright vulnerability, a critical security bug which was highlighted earlier this week, for its Nexus devices starting next week.

To recall, cyber-security firm Zimperium on Monday warned of a flaw in the world's most popular smartphone operating system that let hackers take control of Android smartphones with an MMS message. According to the report, attackers could remotely execute code via a specially crafted media file delivered via an MMS message to the customer's Android handset. The bug can affect the device even if the message has not been opened. The malicious codes would let them take control of the device without the owner's knowledge.

Advertisement

However, Google has now promised for a fix, meant for the company's own Nexus devices. Google also says it has already provided a fix to partners for them to roll out fixes for their devices, and will be releasing the additional safeguards it is rolling out for Nexus devices in open source. A company spokesperson is quoted by Android Police to say, this vulnerability was identified in a laboratory setting on older Android devices, and as far as we know, no one has been affected. As soon as we were made aware of the vulnerability we took immediate action and sent a fix to our partners to protect users [..] As part of a regularly scheduled security update, we plan to push further safeguards to Nexus devices starting next week. And, we'll be releasing it in open source when the details are made public by the researcher at BlackHat." The Black Hat computer security conference will be taking place in Las Vegas early in August.

While the Nexus handsets would receive the fix, it still leaves majority of the Android-powered smartphones exposed to the vulnerability. It is worth mentioning that CyanogenMod has already started issuing patches for the Stagefright bug to its users. The Stagefright flaw imperils some 95 percent, or an estimated 950 million Android phones, according to Zimperium.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Portronics Launches Vayu Nano Tyre Inflator in India at This Price
  2. Google Pixel 11's Pixel Glow Feature May Have Appeared During Google I/O 2026
  3. New OTT Releases This Week: Dhurandhar: Raw and Uncut, Desi Bling, System, and More
  4. Realme 16T Launched in India With 50-Megapixel Main Camera, 8,000mAh Battery
  5. Realme 16T 5G Review: The Pro Looks at an Affordable Price
  6. Realme Buds Air 8 Pro Launched in India With Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life
  1. Mysterious Stacked Rocks Spotted by NASA Perseverance Rover on Mars
  2. Meta Launches Forum App as a Reddit-Like Platform for Discussions With AI-Powered Assistant for Admins
  3. Xiaomi 17T Series Teased to Arrive in Two Display Variants; Colour Options Revealed Ahead of Debut
  4. Honor Magic 9 Series Could Feature 8,000mAh Batteries; Tipster Leaks Camera, Display Upgrades
  5. Google Might Sell Over 2 Million Android XR-Powered Smart Glasses This Year: Report
  6. Google's Pixel Glow Feature for the Google Pixel 11 May Have Accidentally Leaked During Google I/O 2026
  7. iQOO 16 Global and Indian Debut Seemingly Confirmed as Handset Gets Listed on IMEI Database: Report
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Camera Details Confirmed, WIll Arrive in Three Colourways
  9. Oppo Reno 16 Bags BIS, TUV SUD and TDRA Certifications That Hint at Imminent Global Debut
  10. Infinity Ward Working on Next Call of Duty, Says It's Making 'Definitive Modern Warfare' Title
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.