Huawei Files to Trademark Its Hongmeng Mobile OS Around the World After US Ban

The move comes after the Trump administration put Huawei on a blacklist last month.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 13 June 2019 15:09 IST

China's Huawei has applied to trademark its "Hongmeng" operating system (OS) in at least nine countries and Europe, data from a UN body shows, in a sign it may be deploying a back-up plan in key markets as US sanctions threaten its business model.

The move comes after the Trump administration put Huawei on a blacklist last month that barred it from doing business with US tech companies such as Alphabet, whose Android OS is used in Huawei's phones.

Since then, Huawei - the world's biggest maker of telecoms network gear - has filed for a Hongmeng trademark in countries such as Cambodia, Canada, South Korea and New Zealand, data from the UN World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) shows.

It also filed an application in Peru on May 27, according to the country's anti-trust agency Indecopi.

Advertisement

Huawei has a back-up OS in case it is cut off from US-made software, Richard Yu, CEO of the firm's consumer division, told German newspaper Die Welt in an interview earlier this year.

The firm, also the world's second-largest maker of smartphones, has not yet revealed details about its OS.

Advertisement

Its applications to trademark the OS show Huawei wants to use "Hongmeng" for gadgets ranging from smartphones, portable computers to robots and car televisions.

At home, Huawei applied for a Hongmeng trademark in August last year and received a nod last month, according to a filing on China's intellectual property administration's website.

Advertisement

Huawei declined to comment.

Consumer concerns
According to WIPO data, the earliest Huawei applications to trademark the Hongmeng OS outside China were made on May 14 to the European Union Intellectual Property Office and South Korea, or right after the United States flagged it would stick Huawei on an export blacklist.

Huawei has come under mounting scrutiny for over a year, led by US allegations that "back doors" in its routers, switches and other gear could allow China to spy on US communications.

The company has denied its products pose a security threat.

However, consumers have been spooked by how matters have escalated, with many looking to offload their devices on worries they would be cut off from Android updates in the wake of the US blacklist.

Huawei's hopes to become the world's top-selling smartphone maker in the fourth quarter this year have now been delayed, a senior Huawei executive said this week.

Peru's Indecopi has said it needs more information from Huawei before it can register a trademark for Hongmeng in the country, where there are some 5.5 million Huawei phone users.

The agency did not give details on the documents it had sought, but said Huawei had up to nine months to respond.

Huawei representatives in Peru declined to provide immediate comment, while the Chinese embassy in Lima did not respond to requests for comment.

© Thomson Reuters 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Huawei, Hongmeng
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. POCO M8x 5G Price, Specifications Tipped Ahead of India Launch
  2. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Camera Samples, Live Photo Features Revealed
  3. Krafton Confirms BGMI Lite Is Coming to India by the End of 2026
  4. Poco F9 Pro, Poco F9 Ultra Leak Reveals European Price, Specifications
  5. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India Later This Month
  6. Boat Aavante Prime X Review
  1. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Camera Samples Reveal 50-Megapixel Sony Sensor; Leak Suggests 9,100mAh Battery
  2. Vivo Y31T Specifications, Design Leak Ahead of Launch, Tipped to Feature 7,200mAh Battery
  3. Kingdom Hearts IV Will Launch in Late 2027, Square Enix Confirms
  4. Poco M8x 5G India Launch Date Announced; to Feature Snapdragon 4 Gen 5 Chipset
  5. Pova 8 Pro 5G Full Specifications List, Colour Options Revealed Ahead of India Launch
  6. Poco F9 Pro, Poco F9 Ultra European Prices and Specifications Leaked Online Ahead of Launch
  7. Samsung Galaxy Tab S12 Ultra Spotted on Google Play Console Ahead of Expected Launch
  8. Firefox for iOS Gets Native Ad Blocking for Ads, Trackers and Pop-Ups
  9. Poco M8x 5G Could Launch in India Under Rs. 20,000, Key Specifications Tipped
  10. Krafton Announces BGMI Lite for India, Set to Launch by the End of 2026
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.