Huawei Not Losing Access to Android Updates, Google Apps After Trump Offers Concessions

As per previous restrictions, Google was barred from offering access to the Play Store and its apps to Huawei.

Advertisement
By Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: 1 July 2019 12:45 IST

With US President Donald Trump providing reprieve to Huawei, less than a month after blacklisting the Chinese telecom giant, American tech titan Google can now work with it and continue to sell its Android license to the smartphone maker.

The move is also going to help its sub-brand Honor.

"While it's unclear whether that extends to the 5G network technology that Huawei is developing, it most certainly applies to Google and Android.

Advertisement

"Under the terms of the previous ban (national security order), Google was barred from selling an Android license to Huawei, meaning its phones could use the base open-source code, but would not have access to the all-important Play Store and Google apps," the PC World reported on Saturday.

Advertisement

The previous restrictions meant Google was barred from selling an Android license to Huawei, meaning its phones could use the base open-source code, but would not have access to the all-important Play Store and Google apps.

A temporary licence was issued soon which allowed Google to support and update the Android OS currently running on existing Huawei devices.

Advertisement

However, it was affecting the development of future products. Huawei had reportedly said that it was working on its own OS and was reaching out to other Chinese brands such as Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi as partners.

Now that Google can continue to sell its Android license to Huawei, the company will need to decide whether to continue pursuing the project or stick with its EMUI OS, the PC World report added.

Advertisement

Beyond aiding Huawei, Trump's move will boost Google and other Huawei partners who invested significant time and resources into developing a relationship with Huawei to boost their own businesses through its business, according to the TechCrunch.

Huawei had earlier said that Google would lose millions of users if it turns away from Google's Android OS.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Huawei, Google, Android
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Dhurandhar OTT Release: Know When, Where to Watch the Ranveer Singh-Starrer
  1. After The Hunt Is Streaming Online Now: Know All About Julia Robert’s Thriller Movie
  2. Milon Hobe Koto Dine OTT Release: When, Where to Watch the Solanki Roy Romance Drama Series
  3. Dies Irae OTT Release: When, Where to Watch Pranav Mohanlal’s Horror Thriller Online
  4. Thamma OTT Release: When, Where to Watch Ayushmann Khurrana's Horror Comedy
  5. Regai Is Streaming Now: Where to Watch the Tamil Mystery Drama Online
  6. NASA Steps In to Support ESA’s Rosalind Franklin Rover Ahead of 2028 Mars Launch
  7. Coffee Waste Could Make Concrete Stronger and Greener, Scientists Find
  8. Fermi Telescope Detects Gamma-Ray Halo That Could Be First Direct Dark Matter Signal
  9. Researchers Develop New Materials for Truly Stretchable OLED Screens
  10. OxygenOS 16 Update Rolling Out to OnePlus 12R Globally, Brings New AI Tools and Upgraded Performance
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2025. All rights reserved.