Huawei's Major Suppliers Said to Meet With White House to Discuss US Ban

Trump said last month American firms could resume sales with Huawei but details about new policy still unclear.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 20 July 2019 10:08 IST
Highlights
  • Larry Kudlow tohost a meeting with semiconductor and software executives
  • Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin will also attend the White House event
  • Chipmakers Intel and Qualcomm have also been invited

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow will host a meeting with semiconductor and software executives on Monday to discuss the US ban on sales to China's Huawei Technologies, two sources briefed on the meeting said on Friday.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin will also attend the White House event, to which chipmakers Intel, and Qualcomm have been invited, the people said.

A White House official confirmed the meeting would take place, noting that Google and Micron would attend, but said it had been called to discuss economic matters.

The subject of Huawei was expected "to come up but that it is not the reason why they are convening the meeting," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Advertisement

The future of US companies' ties to Huawei, the world's no. 1 maker of telecommunications equipment, remains uncertain after the Trump administration put the company on a blacklist in May, citing national security concerns.

The move banned US companies from selling most US parts and components to it without special licenses, but President Donald Trump said last month American firms could resume sales, with an eye on reviving trade talks with Beijing.

Advertisement

Several weeks after the announcement, details about what the new policy towards the company is are still not forthcoming.

Commerce Department Secretary Wilbur Ross has said licenses would be issued where there is no threat to national security. Reuters reported that the United States may approve licenses for companies to restart new sales in a matter of weeks.

Advertisement

One of the people briefed on Monday's meeting said Broadcom Inc was also invited to the White House event. Microsoft was also expected to receive an invitation, the person said.

Intel and Qualcomm declined to comment. Google, Micron, Microsoft, and Broadcom did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

© Thomson Reuters 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Donald Trump, Huawei, US Ban
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Best Tablets for Students in India: OnePlus Pad Go 2, Xiaomi Pad 8 and More
  2. Best Phones With 144Hz Display Under Rs. 30,000 in India
  1. MANTRA Halts Network Transactions Following Unspecified Incident
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Renders Leak Again, Suggesting Three Colour Options
  3. Poco X8 Power, Poco X8 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  4. Xbox Series X25 Limited Edition Console Will Reportedly Cost EUR 899.99, Launch on November 27
  5. Bhutan Transfers 490 Bitcoin Worth $32.7 Million to Fresh Addresses
  6. Vivo X500 Pro Series Model Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  7. Qualcomm’s Upcoming Flagship Snapdragon Chipset Names Tipped Ahead of Launch
  8. Lava Virat V1 Pro 5G India Launch Date Confirmed, Key Specifications Leaked
  9. Vivo T5 5G India Launch Confirmed; Flipkart Availability, 3D Curved Display Teased
  10. AI Is Key Smartphone Buying Factor for 82 Percent of Indian Consumers, Shows Amazon Survey
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.