Xiaomi to Skip MWC 2017 Next Month

Advertisement
By Ketan Pratap | Updated: 27 January 2017 12:14 IST
Highlights
  • Xiaomi to entirely skip MWC 2017
  • Samsung has already confirmed its absence from MWC this year
  • Last year, Xiaomi previewed the Mi 5 smartphone at MWC 2016

The biggest mobile industry event this year, the Mobile World Congress (MWC), will see two of the most popular handset manufacturers out of action. After Samsung confirmed its absence from MWC, it was the turn of the Chinese handset vendor Xiaomi to give the event a miss, as per a report.

TechCrunch reports that Xiaomi's spokesperson has confirmed that the company "will skip the event entirely." Unfortunately, the company hasn't revealed any possible reasons for skipping the event but this obviously means that the alleged Mi 6 flagship smartphone will be delayed as well.

Advertisement

To recall, the Chinese manufacturer last year previewed the Mi 5 at the MWC 2016 trade show in Barcelona and also had a select media briefing for discussing the company's plans forward in the year.

The Xiaomi Mi 6, the successor to the company's flagship Mi 5, is expected to be unveiled in the first half of 2017. Based on preliminary leaks, Xiaomi will launch two versions of the Mi 6 smartphone - one with a flat screen and another with dual-curved screen likely to be dubbed Mi 6 Pro. The Mi 6 is said to launch with 4GB of RAM with 128GB of built-in storage option while the Mi 6 Pro is said to come in 6GB of RAM with 256GB of storage. A recent report also claimed that the Mi 6 variant will pack a physical home button with a built-in fingerprint sensor. One of the biggest highlights of the Mi 6 series is said to be the dual-rear camera setup though details about the cameras are unavailable so far. For pricing, the regular Mi 6 is said to be priced at CNY 1,999 (roughly Rs. 20,000) while the dual-curved display variant expected to be priced around CNY 2,499 (roughly Rs. 25,000).

Advertisement

Xiaomi's Hugo Barra, Global Vice President, left the company to return to Silicon Valley after a three and a half year stint at the company. Barra will be joining Facebook to lead virtual reality efforts at the company.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Xiaomi, MWC, MWC 2017, Mobiles, Samsung, Xiaomi Mi 6
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Confirmed to Launch in India Soon in These Shades
  2. Realme 16 Series and OnePlus 15R Become More Expensive in India
  3. YouTube's Likeness Detection Tool Is Now Available to All Adult Creators
  4. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  5. Here's When the Xiaomi 17T Series Will Launch Globally
  6. How to Claim PF Online Without Employer Approval Under New EPFO Rules
  1. YouTube’s Likeness Detection Tool Is Now Available to All Adult Creators
  2. Vi Postpaid Users in India Can Choose New International Roaming Plans From Rs 649
  3. Satrangi: Badle Ka Khel OTT Release Date Revealed: Know Everything About Plot, Cast, and More
  4. Prasanth Pandiyaraj’s Warrant OTT Release Details Revealed: Know When and Where to Watch it Online
  5. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  6. Realme 16 Series Gets Price Hike in India; OnePlus, Poco and Lava Also Revise Rates
  7. Verus Ethereum Bridge Reportedly Suffers from $11.5 Million DeFi Hack
  8. The Travellers Now Streaming on Netflix: Know Everything About This Australian Drama Film
  9. Xiaomi 17T Series Set to Launch Globally on May 28; Confirmed to Arrive With a Leica-Tuned Cameras
  10. Panda Plan 2 OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Jackie Chan Starrer Movie Online?
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.