Google Shareholder Sues Company Board, Senior Managers for Allegedly Covering Up Sexual Misconduct

Advertisement
By Elizabeth Dwoskin, The Washington Post | Updated: 11 January 2019 09:50 IST
Highlights
  • A shareholder James Martin filed the lawsuit
  • The shareholder said Google's leaders breached their duty to investors
  • Case stems from revelations that Google awarded $90 million to Andy Rubin

A Google shareholder sued the company's board of directors and senior management on Thursday, arguing that the tech giant's leaders breached their duty to investors when they covered up sexual misconduct by executives and gave harassers large payouts.

The suit, by shareholder James Martin, stems from revelations last year that the company awarded a $90 million (roughly Rs. 630 crores) exit package to executive Andy Rubin, the creator of the Android operating system, even as Rubin was being pushed out over sexual misconduct. Google had asked for Rubin's resignation in 2014 after determining that allegations that he had coerced a woman into performing oral sex in a hotel room the previous year were credible.

Rubin was celebrated when he left Google, and the real reason for his departure was made public by the Information and New York Times, which also reported the payout. Rubin has denied the allegations.

Advertisement

The story has roiled Google's workforce, a #MeToo moment that prompted thousands of employees in offices across the world to walk off the job in protest.

Advertisement

Thursday's shareholder lawsuit, which is being brought by several high-profile attorneys, including a former chair of the Federal Election Commission and former City Attorney of San Francisco, takes particular aim at Google's board of directors. The suit charges prominent venture capitalists John Doerr and Ram Shriram, who led the board's leadership development and compensation committee, with approving the payment while being fully apprised of the allegations.

"If the board of directors is in charge, they were supposed to "do the right thing," and in this case they've done anything but the right thing," said Louise Renne, the former City Attorney of San Francisco.

Advertisement

The suit also targets Google co-founders Page and Sergey Brin, executive chairman Eric Schmidt, Rubin, current chief executive Sundar Pichai, former human resources director Laszlo Bock, chief legal officer David Drummond, former executive Amit Singhal, and others.

The charges include breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, abuse of power, and corporate waste.

Advertisement

© The Washington Post 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Google, Alphabet, James Martin, Andy Rubin
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  5. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  6. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.