NASA Addresses Unexplained Space Station Hole but Mystery Remains Unsolved

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 4 October 2018 10:56 IST
Highlights
  • NASA sought to tamp down speculation that sabotage caused a tiny hole
  • Hole was found last month in the side of a Russian module docked at ISS
  • Puncture has since been patched with tape and sealant

International Space Station

Photo Credit: NASA

NASA sought on Wednesday to tamp down speculation that sabotage caused a tiny hole found last month in the side of a Russian module docked at the International Space Station, but the mystery remained unsolved.

NASA stressed in a brief statement issued from its Washington headquarters that Dimitri Rogozin, general director of the Russian space agency Roscosmos, had in public comments this week ruled out a manufacturing defect as the cause.

However, NASA added, "This conclusion does not necessarily mean the hole was created intentionally or with mal-intent," as some media outlets interpreted Rogozin's remarks as suggesting.

Advertisement

Rather than giving greater credence to foul play, the elimination of a manufacturing defect as causing the hole "indicates that this is an isolated issue which does not categorically affect future production," NASA said.

Advertisement

Roscosmos and NASA have each opened their own investigations of the 2 millimeter-wide hole detected in late August on the exterior wall of a Russian Soyuz capsule docked to the space station after ground operators reported slight dips in pressure levels.

The puncture has since been patched with tape and sealant, halting the oxygen leak, and officials said the current crew, consisting of three U.S. astronauts, two Russian cosmonauts and one German, were never in any danger.

Advertisement

Rogozin previously raised the possibility of a deliberate act in comments reported by the Russian news agency RIA Novosti, which quoted him earlier this month as saying it appeared that a drill had been used by an "unsteady hand," leaving metal around the hole scraped.

NASA declined to comment on those remarks at the time.

Advertisement

NASA spokeswoman Megan Powers said on Wednesday renewed media reports about the possibility of intentional damage to the Soyuz module stemmed from "rough translation" by some Western news outlets of Rogozin's latest comments.

"No one is saying, and certainly NASA is not saying, that it was deliberate," she said.

Powers said that, while intentional damage remains one of numerous possibilities still under review, "we're not expecting it was a bad actor ... we don't think that's the most likely conclusion."

She also said the space agency was confident that the origin of the hole would ultimately be explained. "We will find the reason and we will reveal the reason no matter what it is."

NASA said a spacewalk was being tentatively planned for November to gather more information.

Another astronaut and cosmonaut are due to join the space station crew this month. They are slated for launch aboard a Russian Soyuz MS-10 spacecraft on October 11 from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, NASA said.

NASA said its new administrator, Jim Bridenstine, was scheduled to attend the launch and would meet Rogozin there for the first time.

© Thomson Reuters 2018

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: NASA, ISS, Russia, US
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. These Are the Best Smartphones With IR Blaster in India
  5. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  6. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date, Design, Colourways, Key Features Revealed
  7. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Lands on IMEI Database, Could Launch Soon
  8. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  9. Xiaomi Civi 6 Could Launch in China Soon With Customisable AI Shortcut Key
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.