COAI Calls Trai's Call Connect Review Unfair

Advertisement
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 9 August 2016 12:22 IST
Cellular operators body COAI Monday termed Trai's consultation paper on call connect charges as "unfair on incumbent operators", and questioned the regulator's urgency in initiating the process of interconnect review, which the association claimed "favours new entrants".

"We are unable to understand what is the hurry. Usually, there is a 2-3 years timeframe (for the review) but it has only been one year," COAI (Cellular Operators Association of India) director general Rajan Mathews told PTI.

On Friday, Trai started the review of interconnection charges - paid by one telecom operator to another for connecting phone calls - against the backdrop of 4G and Internet telephony changing the way consumers communicate.

At present, the termination charges for a mobile to mobile local and national long distance call is pegged at 14 paise per minute while the termination charges for international incoming call to wireless and wireline stands at 53 paise per minute.

Advertisement

Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has sought public view on how domestic termination charges should be computed - cost based or Bill and Keep (BAK) - for maximisation of consumer welfare, adoption of more efficient technologies and growth of the telecom sector in the country.

Advertisement

In BAK method, each telecom operator bills its own subscribers for outgoing traffic that it sends to other interconnecting network and keeps the revenue received from its subscribers.

"Trai is trying to introduce 'Bill and Keep' method, and the move would mean that new operators would not have to pass on payment to existing operators, while the latter will have to 'incur costs'," Mathews said.

Advertisement

"It is unfair to the incumbent operators and appears to favour new entrants. This is a misguided effort from Trai that will help new entrants, at the cost of the incumbent...We are extremely disturbed by this, this further tilts the level playing field," he alleged.

Stating that no country with calling party pays regime has zero termination charges, he pointed out that the previous Trai move on termination rates for calls involving mobile and landlines had already been challenged in the court.

Advertisement

"The IUC (Interconnection Usage Charges) paper requires us to give answers which are the context of the litigation, and therefore subjudice," Mathews said.

The Trai paper also seeks views on how charges would be impacted as telecom operators move to Internet Protocol-based networks.

The regulator said that essentially, with the new arrivals viz voice over LTE (VoLTE) and internet telephony, any attempt to set uniform domestic termination charges on cost basis would be a challenging task.

The last date for submission of IUC comments is September 5 and that for counter-comments is September 19, 2016.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  5. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  6. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  7. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  8. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  9. Google Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025 on Android
  10. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  1. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  2. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  3. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  4. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  5. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  6. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  7. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  8. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  9. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  10. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.