Ericsson’s Disclosures on Iraq Graft Found ‘Insufficient’ by US Authorities

Ericsson revealed last month that it had already handed over its internal investigation on Iraq to US authorities.

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 3 March 2022 17:15 IST
Highlights
  • Ericsson’s value had already taken a beating in recent weeks
  • The news from the telecom equipment maker sent shares tumbling
  • Ericsson shares have lost nearly a third of their value

Ericsson paid $1 billion to US Department of Justice to close a case of corruption

Photo Credit: Reuters

Sweden's Ericsson said Wednesday that US authorities have found its disclosures about an internal inquiry into its conduct in Iraq, including suspected bribes to the Islamic State group, "insufficient".

The news from the telecom equipment maker sent shares tumbling, and they were down over 12 percent around midday on the Stockholm stock exchange.

The company's value had already taken a beating in recent weeks over the anticipated publication of a media investigation coordinated by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).

It revealed an internal Ericsson 2019 investigation that was never made public, identifying possible corruption over many years in the group's Iraqi operations, including links to Islamic State.

Advertisement

The revelations were published in the media on Sunday, but Ericsson had previously released statements addressing the claims.

Ericsson had already paid $1 billion (roughly Rs. 7,598 crores) to the US Department of Justice to close a case of corruption in five countries, as part of a "deferred prosecution agreement" (DPA).

Advertisement

The Stockholm-based company revealed last month that it had already handed over its internal investigation on Iraq to US authorities.

But the Department of Justice (DoJ) informed Ericsson on Tuesday that "the disclosure made by the company prior to the DPA about its internal investigation into conduct in Iraq in the period 2011 until 2019 was insufficient," the telecom giant said in a statement.

Advertisement

In addition, the DoJ determined the company had "breached the DPA" by failing to make further disclosures related to the investigation after the agreement was reached.

Ericsson said it was "in communication with the DoJ" about the case and looking to resolve the issue.

"At this stage it is premature to predict the outcome of this matter," the company said.

During a conference call CEO Borje Ekholm declined to comment on the potential financial impact from the DoJ announcement, saying it was impossible to predict at this stage.

At the same time, Ekholm conceded that the company had lapsed in the past.

"Of course this is a serious matter, a very serious matter, and involves embarrassing and unacceptable conduct in the past," Ekholm told reporters and analysts, while stressing that investments had been made to improve compliance and efforts were also being made to change the culture within the company.

"We've had a culture that has not allowed us to capture this behaviour in time," Ekholm said.

After losing momentum in the mid-2010s, particularly as it faced competition from China's Huawei, which has taken the world's top spot when it comes to network equipment, Ericsson launched a major plan in 2017 that allowed it to rebound.

The company is currently battling with Huawei and Finland's Nokia to build 5G networks around the world, against a backdrop of geopolitical tensions between the United States and China over the technology.

Since the revelations first came to light, Ericsson shares have lost nearly a third of their value.


Why is 5G taking so long? We discuss this on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Moto G Max Goes on Sale in India: Check Price, Offers
  2. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  3. Infinix Hot 70 Pro India Launch Timeline Announced; Colourways Teased
  4. iQOO Z11 Review
  5. CMF Buds Neo With 35dB ANC, Up to 52 Hour of Battery Launched in India
  6. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  7. Here's How Much the Vivo Y31T 5G Could Cost in India
  8. Samsung Galaxy S26 Family to Get a New Member at August 27 Event
  1. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
  2. Google Photos Could Soon Add a Map View to Ask Photos Search Results, Feature Spotted in APK Teardown
  3. Infinix Hot 70 Pro 5G India Launch Confirmed for September, Design and Colours Revealed
  4. Vivo Y31T 5G Price in India Tipped Days After Firm Revealed Full Specifications List Ahead of Launch
  5. Moto G Max With Snapdragon 6s Gen 4 Chip, 7,000mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: Price, Offers
  6. Asus VM240 AiO All-in-One Desktop PC Launched in India With 24-Inch Display, New Gaming Accessories Tag Along
  7. iQOO 16, iQOO Neo 12 Tipped to Get Major Display Upgrades With Up to 185Hz Refresh Rate
  8. Black Myth: Zhong Kui Gets New 15-Minute Gameplay Trailer That Shares First Look at Combat
  9. iQOO TWS 5e Launched With 35dB ANC, Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life: Price, Features
  10. iPhone 18 Pro May Look Nearly Identical to iPhone 17 Pro, New Leak Claims
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.