Huawei expects $2 billion in 4G revenue this year

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 18 September 2013 15:49 IST
Huawei Technologies Co Ltd expects to take in more than $2 billion in revenues selling 4G gear this year as global carriers from China to Europe expand their networks, senior company executives said on Wednesday.

Even though 4G LTE (long-term evolution) promises faster video streaming and Internet downloads, the cost of smartphones would need to come down before the technology can enter the global mainstream, they told reporters in a briefing.

"The price of LTE smartphones is still higher that those without LTE technology. This is normal," said Peter Zhou, executive vice president for the LTE business unit at Huawei, the world's No.2 telecom equipment maker ranking behind Sweden's Ericsson.

Advertisement

There are 100 million 4G LTE users globally now, which makes up a small fraction of total mobile subscribers. That 4G number will grow to 1 billion in 2016, or more than half of total global subscribers, Zhou said.

"We foresee that around 2015, a multi-mode smartphone, which includes LTE, will be very similar or equal to the price of a (usual) smartphone," Zhou said. "So by that time, the portion of LTE smartphones will be much bigger."

Advertisement

Infrastructure spending in 4G LTE will nearly triple to $24.3 billion in 2013 from $8.7 billion in 2012, according to research firm IHS iSuppli, fueled by network expansions in major markets such as China, Japan and Germany.

So far, Huawei and Ericsson have a combined share of 74 percent of the 4G market, Huawei executives said, citing data from research firm Informa.

Advertisement

Huawei's LTE revenues were insignificant last year, but grew quickly to $1 billion in the first half of the year. They are on track to hit more than $2 billion for the whole of 2013, said Bob Cai, vice president for Huawei's wireless marketing.

With slowing economies in mature markets like Europe, China is seen as a bright spot for wireless growth, especially with China Mobile Ltd spending more on its 4G network as it is expected to get a licence this year, analysts said.

Advertisement

So far, Huawei and rival ZTE Corp have secured more than half of China Mobile's initial 4G contracts worth around 20 billion yuan, with the rest going to Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent SA and Nokia Siemens Networks, sources said August.

China's 4G licences are expected to be based on TD-LTE technology, rather than FDD-LTE, which is more widely used globally. However, analysts said there was a chance that the Chinese government could award FDD-LTE licences in the future.

"If the government decides that it is going to award FDD-LTE licences as well later next year, that business will continue rapidly into 2015 as well," said Neil Juggins, a regional telecoms analyst for Hong Kong-based JI Asia, an affiliate of Societe Generale. "I think China is going to be an increasing portion of their (Huawei's) global business over the next three years."

China is the world's largest wireless market with more than 1 billion subscribers, but only a fifth of them use 3G technologies and the rest on 2G.

Even though telecom spending is largely flat in Europe, carriers there are pouring more resources into 4G.

"Clearly capex on an individual operator basis is flat in Europe. It is not growing on an annualised basis. But the direction of that spending is obviously moving more towards LTE than 2G and 3G networks," Juggins said.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Huawei, 4G, 3G, LTE, ZTE, telecom
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Portronics Launches Vayu Nano Tyre Inflator in India at This Price
  2. New OTT Releases This Week: Dhurandhar: Raw and Uncut, Desi Bling, System, and More
  3. Realme 16T 5G Review: The Pro Looks at an Affordable Price
  4. Realme Buds Air 8 Pro Launched in India With Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life
  1. Mysterious Stacked Rocks Spotted by NASA Perseverance Rover on Mars
  2. Meta Launches Forum App as a Reddit-Like Platform for Discussions With AI-Powered Assistant for Admins
  3. Xiaomi 17T Series Teased to Arrive in Two Display Variants; Colour Options Revealed Ahead of Debut
  4. Honor Magic 9 Series Could Feature 8,000mAh Batteries; Tipster Leaks Camera, Display Upgrades
  5. Google Might Sell Over 2 Million Android XR-Powered Smart Glasses This Year: Report
  6. Google's Pixel Glow Feature for the Google Pixel 11 May Have Accidentally Leaked During Google I/O 2026
  7. iQOO 16 Global and Indian Debut Seemingly Confirmed as Handset Gets Listed on IMEI Database: Report
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Camera Details Confirmed, WIll Arrive in Three Colourways
  9. Oppo Reno 16 Bags BIS, TUV SUD and TDRA Certifications That Hint at Imminent Global Debut
  10. Infinity Ward Working on Next Call of Duty, Says It's Making 'Definitive Modern Warfare' Title
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.