Reliance Jio signs pact with Bharti Airtel for cable network

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 23 April 2013 17:31 IST
Conglomerate Reliance Industries Ltd took a step closer to launching 4G services into a fiercely competitive Indian telecoms market with a deal on Tuesday to lease undersea cable capacity from Bharti Airtel.

Reliance, controlled by billionaire Mukesh Ambani, spent $3 billion in 2010 on 4G, including payment for nationwide airwaves, but has said little about its plans.

Last week, Reliance said its Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd had finalised agreements with infrastructure providers and device makers, among others, for its 4G venture, without naming them.

The company's commercial launch, widely expected later this year, would bring a deep-pocketed newcomer to the market where fierce competition and regulatory turmoil have battered profitability and forced some players from the market.

Advertisement

"It's clear now that the launch is imminent," said Sandip Sabharwal, head of portfolio management services at Mumbai brokerage Prabhudas Lilladher, adding it would still take Reliance about a year to start 4G services.

Advertisement

Earlier this month, Reliance signed a fibre optic network-sharing agreement with younger brother Anil Ambani's Reliance Communications, their first business deal since ending a long running feud three years ago. The companies said they could cooperate further.

Tuesday's tie-up further signalled Reliance Jio's willingness to cooperate with competitors.

Advertisement

"The deal marks Reliance Jio's continued efforts to rapidly grow and expand both its network and infrastructure by building an ecosystem with multiple carriers and service providers," Reliance said in a statement.

Reliance and Bharti, India's biggest cellular carrier, declined to provide terms of the deal. Reliance also declined to say when it would launch the service.

Advertisement

"It is telling that they are trying to have international data connectivity. Reliance is trying to come up in a very big way and is pretty serious about the telecom business," said Ankita Somani, telecoms analyst with Angel Broking.

Shares in Reliance Communications, the No.3 cellular operator, slid about 5 percent in Mumbai trade on Tuesday, after the announcement of Reliance Industries' deal with Bharti, before paring some of those losses to close 3.3 percent lower.

Some in the market had said the tie-up between Reliance Jio and Bharti appeared to lessen the likelihood for future deals between the carriers controlled by the Ambani brothers. However, Tuesday's deal is for use of an undersea cable that connects Chennai to Singapore, a route on which Reliance Communications does not own capacity.

Reliance Communications had gained 76.8 percent in April through Monday, partly on hopes it would extend cooperation with Reliance Jio to include leasing tower space to the new carrier.

Reliance Jio has yet to announce any tower leasing partner.

Reliance Communications was hived off from the combined Reliance empire after the brothers split up the family businesses in 2005 in a deal brokered by their mother.

Reliance Industries shares ended 1.77 percent higher on Tuesday. Bharti shares gained about 2 percent after the statement before closing down 0.43 percent.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  3. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  4. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  5. Xiaomi Civi 6 Could Launch in China Soon With Customisable AI Shortcut Key
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.