Iran Minister Says 'Impossible' to Block Information by Banning Apps

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 1 May 2018 18:26 IST

Iran's telecoms minister said Tuesday it was "impossible to block citizen's access to information", a day after the conservative-dominated judiciary banned the hugely popular Telegram messaging app.

Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi's comments on Twitter highlighted differences of opinion between the government of reformist President Hassan Rouhani and ultra-conservatives who control the judiciary and security services.

Advertisement

"Even if we ban the use of software, other software will be found and information will start to circulate freely again," Jahromi wrote.

"Technology is not intrinsically guilty, corrupt, or deviant," he added. "It is human beings who misuse it to promote crime and corruption in the virtual world, just as they do in real life."

Advertisement

A Tehran judge on Monday ordered the blocking of Telegram, the judiciary's Mizan Online news agency said, following accusations that the app has allowed armed opposition groups to fuel unrest.

The move follows a presidential directive banning all government workers from using foreign messenger apps to communicate.

Advertisement

Built by Russian tech guru Pavel Durov, Telegram is the most popular social network in Iran with some 40 million users - roughly half the population.

During a wave of protests that hit dozens of Iranian cities early this year, authorities temporarily banned the app, saying it enabled foreign-based "counter-revolutionary" groups to stir tensions.

Advertisement

Since then, authorities have sought to develop Iranian social media networks and limit reliance on foreign-based platforms, which Tehran accuses of hosting sites hostile to the Islamic Republic.

The ban adds Telegram to the list of social networks blocked in the Islamic Republic but accessible via virtual private network (VPN) software which can circumvent internet blackouts - something the judiciary wants to prevent in the case of the messaging app.

Monday's announcement was followed by rumours Jahromi had resigned, but the semi-official ISNA news agency denied that.

"On the question of filtering (social networks), we said and repeated that this is not the only solution," it cited him as saying. "The competent authorities heard our arguments and made their decision."

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Apps, Social, Telegram, Iran, Russia
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Moto G37, Moto G37 Power Launched in India With These Features
  2. Here Are the Best Smartphones in India Under Rs. 30,000
  3. Google Takes the Anthropic Route With Weekly Usage Limits for Gemini
  4. Perplexity Said to Respond After Users Claim Usage Limit Cut Short
  5. Xiaomi 17T Series Retail Listing Reveals Pricing and Specifications
  6. Airtel's Priority Postpaid Becomes India's First 5G Network Slicing Service
  7. Parliament Finance Panel to Hold Discussions With Binance, WazirX, ZebPay
  8. This Xiaomi 17 Series Could Launch in India Soon
  9. Motorola Edge 2026 Leaked Renders Show Off the Design
  10. Here's How the Oppo Reno 16 Series Will Look
  1. Airtel Introduces Priority Postpaid With India's First 5G Network Slicing Starting at Rs. 449
  2. Echo Protocol Exploit Sees Hacker Mint Unauthorised eBTC Worth $76.7 Million
  3. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Price and Specifications Surface on Retail Listing Ahead of May 28 Launch
  4. Xiaomi 17 Max Reportedly Spotted on Geekbench Ahead of May 21 Launch
  5. Lanterns OTT Release Date Confirmed: When and Where to Watch DCU Green Lantern Series Online?
  6. iOS 27 Could Bring AI Wallpaper Generator, Smarter Siri, Revamped Shortcuts App to iPhone: Report
  7. Perplexity Users Claim Their Usage Limit Was Significantly Reduced, Company Reportedly Responds
  8. Bhishmar Now Available for Streaming Online: What You Need to Know About This Entertaining Tale
  9. Oppo Reno 16 Series Design, Colours, and Storage Options Revealed Ahead of May 25 Launch
  10. Motorola Edge 2026 Leaked Renders Show Flat Display and Triple Rear Camera Setup
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.