Uber in Damage Control After Sydney Siege Price Hike

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 15 December 2014 13:01 IST
Popular web-based taxi firm Uber went into damage control mode Monday, offering free rides to passengers fleeing an armed siege in Sydney after earlier hiking prices upwards of AUD 100 ($82, roughly Rs. 5,100).

The company said it would also refund fares after initially implementing "surge pricing", which increases rates during peak demand, for passengers exiting Sydney's central business district as police surrounded a cafe where a gunman was holding hostages.

Online news website Mashable earlier reported that in the immediate aftermath of the Sydney siege, Uber began charging passengers four times regular fares with a minimum charge of AUD 100 to leave the area.

Citing Uber customers in the area, it said that a trip from the central business district to the airport, a journey that normally costs around AUD 60, would cost up to AUD 185 as a result of surge pricing.

Immediately following the news, Uber tweeted that fares "have increased to encourage more drivers to come online & pick up passengers in the area."

Advertisement

Replies to the tweet, however, were almost uniformly negative.

"What a shameful disgrace," wrote Twitter user Tyson Armstrong, while Lewis Henshall added: "Despicable @Uber_Sydney. Have you never heard of corporate responsibility?"

Advertisement

The company later issued a statement saying it "will be providing free rides out of the CBD to help Sydneysiders get home safely" and that it was "in the process of refunding rides".

Uber defends surge pricing and argues it effectively matches supply with demand by encouraging drivers to move to areas where there are shortfalls.

Advertisement

It has, however, had to concede to cap its surge pricing throughout the United States during national emergencies after reaching an agreement with regulators.

The controversy was the latest in a string of bad press for the company.

It is battling lawsuits in several countries for unfair competition and rising anger over drivers who are not properly vetted.

New Delhi last week banned Uber from operating in the Indian capital after a passenger accused one of its drivers of rape.

Thailand, the Netherlands and Spain have ruled it illegal and Denmark and Norway have filed complaints against the company. Brussels also announced Friday it plans to file a complaint.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Best Phones With 144Hz Display Under Rs. 30,000 in India
  2. How Much RAM Do You Really Need in a Smartphone?
  3. OLED vs QLED vs Mini LED: Which TV Should You Buy?
  1. MANTRA Halts Network Transactions Following Unspecified Incident
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Renders Leak Again, Suggesting Three Colour Options
  3. Poco X8 Power, Poco X8 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  4. Xbox Series X25 Limited Edition Console Will Reportedly Cost EUR 899.99, Launch on November 27
  5. Bhutan Transfers 490 Bitcoin Worth $32.7 Million to Fresh Addresses
  6. Vivo X500 Pro Series Model Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  7. Qualcomm’s Upcoming Flagship Snapdragon Chipset Names Tipped Ahead of Launch
  8. Lava Virat V1 Pro 5G India Launch Date Confirmed, Key Specifications Leaked
  9. Vivo T5 5G India Launch Confirmed; Flipkart Availability, 3D Curved Display Teased
  10. AI Is Key Smartphone Buying Factor for 82 Percent of Indian Consumers, Shows Amazon Survey
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.